4 40.00%
  • Yes

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Noob Forum

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Default The Noob Forum

Lately, as we all know, many of the first posts read "Need help in making a robot", "need links", etc etc, eventhough there are threads discussing forum etiquettes. The fact is, every one have to be a newbie, before someone is not a newbie. This topic has been discussed before, but is there any technical reason why we cant put up a noob forum??:?

or any reason why a noob forum wont do good??

and congrats - RI is about to reach the 6000 member mark!!
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

@allbits: Totally Agree! But somehow I feel, that despite such a step, the noob's will continue to use the rest of the forum like their playground.
    I wonder: How many noobs return after posting their first question?

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

well. the point was, new members can only post in the noob forum. They can post in the other forums, once they have posted say - 10 or 15 posts!!
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

@allbits: Now, That makes a lot more sense. I wonder what the management has to say about this idea?

Senior Member Cyborg

new members can only post in the noob forum. They can post in the other forums, once they have posted say - 10 or 15 posts!!
    in my opinion it not a good idea. U have to know though most of newbies are really new to robotics. But what then an experience person just join RI. it will be annoying for it tobe completed treated like that, means cannot put up its experiences into more advance topics instantly.
    What I say is to give some facelift to main page. At present anyone login into it first saw a bunch of questions and they take it as just Q&A site. But if pinpointing the links to resources directly then i would say "SOS" count will be less.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Member Advanced User

Most of them aren't used to forums. Some come across forums like RI only random search for their queries and hence all the need is a reply to their thirsty brain. I feel having an announcement as we do now, serves no purpose. As long as forums exost, these problems exist

shashak ..... said that when a advanced person come he\she cannot use his\her knowledge with us, i think that is not correct because if a person know some thing he don't find the site or forum like RI, because he can already do something in that.

My view is that only beginners (most of them) look to these kinds of forums and sites because they need help very badly and no one is there to tell them, so they need the help of forums or sites like RI.

I m also a beginner and don't know any thing in electronics, but want to learn something, I m from Computer field and Completed University this year.

I can be wrong so plz correct me if so.... This is just a opinion from my side. That means Help the Noobs in more good way, like from were to start which book should be read first and the tools which r used in this field should also be introduced.

Member Advanced User

I think that is being made promptly as you refer several posts where people are adviced to read the old posts

Blog Entries

All of you are right, in parts.
    The New guys may or may not have their own net or computers.
    They may be new to computers on the whole.
    They may not have time to browse through the tons of posts and forums.
    They may not have the knowledge of the Forums.
    Many come , see, post and disappear.
    The 'people online' index may or may not be true.

But some things are dangerous: one is the new philosophy of looking for Ready Solutions :evil:
    This is something that has to be curbed.

The other is the failure to acknowledge.
    That is poor etiquette.

Another is the attitude......Some demand that the Forum MUST help them as if its their right and others duty!!

There should be a Novice protocol. Nothing wrong in having a Beginners Forum with a 'Qualifying Posts' constriant. This is healthy and beneficial, both for the discipline of the Forum as well as the seasoning of the Members. This will also prevent the newbies from being bitten by senior members (and/or season them to it!!)

This is followed by almost all 'Technical Forums' on the net.

Nobody is against Newbies; just their attitude!
    Mark my words: the Newbies section will run the same old way as the one without, and all the seniors will be there , most of the time :lol: :lol:
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

The problem is if we start a newbie forum then all other forum topics will be useless..

Most of the oldies.. including me, spend time answering (if at all), no new posts are started by oldies.

Its all newbie questions or competition news..

Moreover even if we add a minimum posts thing.. according to my statistics.. most newcomers end their journey with us after 1-4 posts...

So starting a newbie forum is equivalent to closing down the remaining topics

believe me I have been itching for long to start this.. but it is not practical as RI is majorly a new comer's forum.

Rao