Thread: help needed for grid-navigating bot

Default help needed for grid-navigating bot

hello...I am building a grid navigating -obstcle avoiding bot.If we use stepper motor(1.8 degree/steps) instead of a DC motor can we do without odeometry?? given that i provide the map of the region to the bot after suitable processing of the image from an overhead camera.Also i want to ask that.. is it mandatory to interface a proximity sensor??

In my opinion,
    it depends on how long you want to travel and allowed errors.
    lets say while placing bot or after a turn your bot makes 1 degree anlge with center line then after 1 m your bot will be around 3 cm away from the center line.....

@ proximity sensors
    why to use proximity sensors when you have overhead camera??

I was thinking about proximity sensor for online feedback just in case any error MAY creeps in..cause am not sure about accuracy of stepper motor for grid navigation..( in case of sharp turns that may be caused due to path finding algorithm)..what do u think??

Blog Entries

1. Stepper is Ok, but it has its own limitations, as posted here many times. If the stepper stops anywhere during travel ...... :cry:
    2. Since you have SW profficiency, its better ( easier & the best) to use DC motors with shaft encoder Odometry. This is fail proof : the hardware will NOT let the software down!!! (as will happen , with the stepper)
    3. :arrow: You cannot implement Grid navigation without LocalSensors 8O
    Proximity sensors will make the Robot more intelligent and reduce Software dependency.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Default similar question

i am using a bot for grid navagation. (a chess board type grid).

i have planned to use a bipolar stepper for the bot.

do i require a 9 v bipolar stepper or 12 v?