Thread: usb to parallel adaptor not working

Default usb to parallel adaptor not working

hello everyone,
    I want to control my bot which is powered by two motor differential drive. The motors are controlled by LM293D backed up by a buffer chip. Controlling the bot through parallel port is easy but problem is arising because my laptop is not having a parallel port. USB to parallel adaptor won't work because no one bothered to develop a virtual parallel port driver. Virtual serial port drivers do exist so if i could make my bot control via a serial port my problem is solved.

Can anyone help me in this regard. The solution that i could figure out is using encoder decoder chips used in remotes. Thanks in advance...

Senior Member T-1000

Hello,
    Yes u can easily control ur robot via a serial port all u have to do is to take a mcu such as AVR use its USART to connect to PC and make the AVR control your L293Ds.Its all very simple.I can provide u with the required firmware(for the AVR) and the Circuit Diagram.

Havefun !!!

Default 8052 mcu

Thank you avinash, I do have a 8052 micro controller unit with me. Can you help me out using it to control the bot?

Senior Member Android

You have to use 8052's UART. Set its baud rate and other parameters and connect with PC. You can send command like "L" (alias move left), "R" (move right), etc in the form of stream of bytes. uC will interpret them and control the motors.

See 8052 book by Ayala. gigapedia.org
    For every minute that is spent in organizing, one hour is earned !

http://elecrom.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

dont forget dear old max232 in the middle..\

Rao

Senior Member T-1000

Hi,
    I am an AVR :wink: user and I can help u in making the solution using the AVR mcus.U can use ATmega8515(price around Rs 140 or less) and MAX232(level converter IC).It has hardware pwm so that u can controll the speed of DC motors.U can also take inputs from sensors and sent them to PC for processing.

i dont know much about 8052 mcu!!

:idea: If u are new to AVR and don't have the setup to program and test the AVR i can send u the programmed mcu according to ur need so that u can use it directly.

Blog Entries

So, why do you need a Laptop for such a simple thing?? 8O
    Its like using a 737 to carry a toy truck on a goods train!

The L293D is more than enough to handle 2^6 - (redundant states) number of inputs.....
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Default why laptop??!!

Well the laptop captures images through a webcam which are then processed and appropriate signals are to be sent to the bot for control. Now I'm sure that much of processing power asks for a pc . 8O

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avinash_g
    Hi,
    I am an AVR :wink: user and I can help u in making the solution using the AVR mcus.U can use ATmega8515(price around Rs 140 or less) and MAX232(level converter IC).It has hardware pwm so that u can controll the speed of DC motors.U can also take inputs from sensors and sent them to PC for processing.

i dont know much about 8052 mcu!!

:idea: If u are new to AVR and don't have the setup to program and test the AVR i can send u the programmed mcu according to ur need so that u can use it directly.
    thanks avinash. I appreciate your help. i'll manage it on my own. i have enough resources to program any avr or mc in our institute. If I'm stuck i'll surely contact you.