Thread: Stepper

Default Stepper

Guys,
    I saw a stepper motor, which i am gona buy. But it has 6 terminals, the motors which we used in our college used to have 5 terminals(one common & 4 coils).

Now how do I identify the common and the coil terminals in that and is there any way to identify whether it is unipolor or bipolor or ......

Default Re: Stepper

the 6 wire stepper can be run in either unipolar or bipolar configuration.
    although bipolar configuration usually gives better performance than unipolar configuration but if the motor is designed as unipolar and u use a bipolar driver of same current rating u might saturate the core and not get any extra performance out from it.

so if u r not worried about the extra marginal performance u can safely use it in unipolar configuration (5-wire). the 6 terminals are baically 2 coils with centre taps. 3 terminals will be electrically isolated from the other 3.
    measure resistances between the 3 terminals which are electrically connected. the resistance between centre-tap and coil end will be some R and resistance between coil ends will be 2R. once u have identified both centre taps, connect them together and use it as the 5th wire in ur unipolar driver.

Ashish

Senior Member Cyborg
    Sumandeep Banerjee
    M.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    B.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    http://www.robotix.in

Junior Member User

hai
    how to identify whtr the motor is unipolar r bipolar?
    M.SATISH
    MNNIT,Alld.
    http://msatish.tk

5 or 6, i think both would be unipolar.
    the only difference between 5 and 6 would be if the central tap on the coil needs 2 sources or one, i.e are they tied or not.

bipolar would lack centre taps, unipolar would have them