Thread: object detection robot

Default object detection robot

hi..
    i am trying to develop a robot which moves straight, should detect a wall or an object and then halt, and turn left or right.
    i need some help how to go about it, presently i have an ADC to convert the IR signals , also i have an h bridge to control the motors etc. the chassis everything is fine.
    i want to know to how i can store a module to retrace the robots path on detecting the object. i might need to use a microcontroller , but not sure which one, also how to write the program to a microcontroller... can anyone help..
    thanks

Blog Entries

between AVR and PIC ill go for AVR.

But look around which is availible and which ur friends have used , as nothing beats local support.
    Vikas Patial

go for AT8051 series microcontrollers as they are cheap and easily available, easy to program.

Senior Member Android

Default hi

@haridarshan
    8051 easy to program :?:

@gauravthadani
    use 8x51 only if you have readymade programmer available already (as vikas said :local support) ...... otherwise go for avr.

you will find adc inbuilt in avr. but for obstacle detection only go for analog comparator (also inbuilt) or simply a transistor.

by "retrace" do you mean to reach back from where you started??? if yes then you have to keep a track of distance and direction. it will be difficult with dc motor, but not impossible. if you have control over arena then you can divide it in small square cells. each cell is either fully empty or fully covered with the cubic obstacle. this will be easy.

visit the link. it contain links of some good tutorial on avr and other robotics.
    http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules...ewtopic&t=3475

hi... thanks everyone for the support.
    by retrace i mean, the robot detects any object, then it should just reverse for like 2-3 meters and turn a few degrees away. the logic being turn one motor on for a .5sec delay or something, and the robot moves to a new path. no need to go to the beginning position.

the project is just about a robot moves in a straight line, detects an object (say a wall) and then reverses, turns a bit and moves straight again.
    i really appreciate the response. thanks once again.

Default To make a Intelligent system

To make a intelligent system, you can go for atmega16 It can be programmed in basic, C and assemble language.
    If you are not good in programming, you can program it in Basic language which is easy to use and understand and easily provide all kind of functionalities like sensor interfacing, taking input and controlling the locomotion of your robot.

It have in system programming facility where you dont require any special programmed to burn the program onto the microcontroller.

for more info about it, visit www.nextsapiens.com or www.nenomart.com

Blog Entries

There is no need for any Micro or programming for your simple problem.

All you need is a Motor driver L293d and IR detector / amplifier. Simply drive the L293d inputs with the detected output, so that the enable pin is pulled low for a few seconds ( depending on how far back etc.,). a couple of inverter gates or transistors should do the job.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

For solving simple problems, one can directly interface the Ics but to add more functionality, it will be better to use a micro controller based controller board.
    This will help in learning and solving more complex problems like controlling servos for aerial vehicle or interfacing analog and digital sensors/systems together and many others and it will be good to start with simple problems to learn microcontroller programming.

Regards
    Garvit

Senior Member Android

@kgarvit
    wow!! i am watching two sides of you in a single day..... if i am not wrong here you are giving stress on LEARNING........ i have to say i prefer this side of you....

@docel
    following is not regarding this forum.. its general...... i have noticed it many times that you always say to avoid uC.... i dont know why?? i mean unless someone is copying a circuit how can he be so sure that his logical circuit will be optimized... and here i am not saying about K-map.... lets say i am making a LF for first time (which i am actually is)..... in last 20 days i have tried about 5 algos with more than 500 variantions..... is this flexibility present in fully hardware circuit.

i am in no way offending you..... i just want to say that if anyone is trying to learn robotics... he cant leave uC.... its another thing whether to use them for a given task or not..... but surely, knowledge of uC is must.....

like here uC is not needed and i support you.... its just a general talk ....

and sorry for posting a non relevant post in this forum.....

Blog Entries

Ashish:

1. A lot of students try to get into Robotics with little or no knowledge of basic principles of Electronics. You'll be surprised by the number of guys who struggle for months on a Program WITHOUT even seeing an electronic component, forget using them.
    2. These guys either lose interest or spend a lot of money/time going round in circles, trying to make components work for some program they have written.
    I know this because I help at least 50 students everyday, from all over the world through this wrong procedure of program ahead of hardware.

3. A micro is needed for more serious work, not for simple LFRs. I dont see any great work done by anyone in any of the Robotics competitions with Micros. Most of them struggle through easy problem statements, which need simple solutions rather than extensive programming skills.

4. I'm not against Micros & programming; I'm against wrong ideas propagated by people who suggest Micros for EVERYTHING ! This invariably makes the newbies wander around without making some working circuit.
    Besides, there are a lot of people around who make a fast buck here, selling Programmers and ready-made stuff to these misguided people.

5. Learning is a different story, as far as it does not scare you away from being practical. Learning does not mean following the wrong road with inappropriate methods for a given problem.

Your observations are not wrong , and are welcome. I'm only being contextual and not absolute in my opinions about Microcontrollers.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com