Thread: ROBOTIC ARM WITH FACE TRACKING

Default ROBOTIC ARM WITH FACE TRACKING

hello friends...
    i just made an account on this website today and while checking out the forums i realised that this forum is reallh interactive and full of people willing to help and post some good stuff..
    so i just thought to post my query here as well...

actually this is what i am planning to make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ML-on_W3A

i know many of you might think that its very hard.. but we can always give it a try before quitting ?!!

so for the above project i have a made a robotic arm using a pair of stepper motors and At8 uc.
    but the torque of the motor is very dissappointing so i have planned to switch over to use GEARED motor that i am getting for almost the same price and has a very high torque and is less complex. just has 2 wires.. change the polarity to change the direction of motion and its RPM is also very low so i found it as a good alternative.

after the development of this robotic arm, i am now stuck and confused as to how to proceed with the face tracking thing..
    since i am from computer science background , i also face trouble in understanding some standard terms that most of electronics people use. !

so i put forward 2 queries :-

1. should i use stepper motor for working or the new geared motor i came across .

2. can anyone please let me know how to proceed with the face recongnition/detection/tracking part ? !

looking for a reply asap..
    and anyone if needs guidance for the robotic arm development is most welcome.

Karan

Blog Entries

so you need guidance on how to make the whole project.

1. I suggest dont go for both. Use servos. position control is easier. they will hold last position and torques are generally good on servos. If you use a geared motor, how were you planning to position control a geared motor in the first place ?

2. Come on, DIP is more of a CS field than EE or any other. IF you dont know how to go ahead with face tracking , no on e does. Let me start you up, use a webcam as a capture source and a PC for image processing . Search on the internet for basic face detection algos or go through papers (scientific publications). Pick up a platform like C++ or JAVA (examples) which have seperate image acquisition tools and libraries.

If I tell you more, I would be spoon-feeding and I hate that.
    Rao

P.S. Whats so great about a face tracker? and why do you want to build exactly what they built?

dear sir ,

i am actually stuck here.. we presented some 3-4 good projects to our college teachers for our 4th yr , but unfortunately they rejected all of them .. and one of my group members told them that we could have made this as well...
    the moment they heard this , they were like you got to make that only without even asking us if it was possible for all 3 of us to go for it..
    so we had no option left but to make it..
    and this time i cant devote too much time on it since i have my CAT and other exams so i am some serious need of help and guidance..

and talking about the geared motor, thats what the people at lajpat rai called it , was a motor costing around 400 and it had very high torque and only two wires , and direction could be controlled by just reversing the polarity ,and also we can control its movement by controlling the duration of the pulse by finding out the exact RPM. as in , if we want it to go by 45 degree we can keep the switch on for that time..

and so , now you know it all ... i request you to atleast guide me what to do ..

if you have some papers that you think can help me plz provide me with that..

and i did search on the net relating to all this , but then whatever i found was in .NET only and i have no clue of that language..

and i am now stuck with this project...
    i also know that if i complete it i will score good marks and for sure get a chance to learn something now...
    so now i am IN for it... i just need a guidance and i am sure i can work it out ..

Blog Entries

Default NDTV has nothing better to do ,..

Here is another example of our stupid news channels having nothing better to do ...

Jokes apart ... what u are asking is dead simple , might take a day for some people here to do it.

here is the arm

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/325 ( a simple relay based controller will do for this arm )

The software library

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/325 ( look into face tracking ... its dead simple )

And another 100 lines of code and ur done ... [] ....
    Vikas Patial

both are the same links !

and refering to the arm... i already have made one... i am just stuck with the face tracking and its interfacing with the robotic arm !

hope i am able to finish it before its too late !!

Blog Entries

Sry mate

here it is

http://opencvlibrary.sourceforge.net/ ( open cv library )

http://opencvlibrary.sourceforge.net/FaceDetection ( Face detection )
    Vikas Patial

Blog Entries

In case you ask later...

For Open CV, you need a C compiler, and the opencv libraries which can be downloaded from that website.

OMG OMG !!

thanks a ton friends !! )

i shall go through it and try understanding everything ....

and get back to you ..
    thanks a lot !

and i think i should first read more about this face tracking and all with the links that you have given to me.. !!
    once i am thorough with it , only then i should go with the construction of the robotic arm as to which motor to use and which UC to use...

so please give me some time to read throught all of this since i have my sessionals from next monday.... !

thanks again...

SIR,
    sorry for replying soo late because i had my exams...

they just got over on saturday...

ok , here i am back again to work... i have very less time to accomplish this task.. !

and unluckyily the links provided by vikas sir aren working for now... they saying some server transfer so login some other time..

waiting for the links to work... :!