Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Info on Epoxy

Junior Member User

Default Need Info on Epoxy

I am suppose to hand over one of my project for testing at couple of my friends and get it tested for real world use. I want to keep the circuitry protected from begin copied and also make it strong to survive abuse.
    What sort of epoxy material or for that matter any other solution can be used to fill the box with it.
    This is just for prototypes, so please let me know what can be used.

Hi Dinar,
    I'm not too sure as to whether you want to fill up your entire box containing your circuitry with some solution, but the suggestion which I can give you at the moment is that:

1. There is some called as the Hot Glue Gun, which uses glue sticks. When this glue gun is connected to the power and on pressing the trigger button, hot glue comes out of the nozzle in front which can be used to cover your components and make your circuit very robust and can withstand a lot of abuse.
    But please note that, I'm not too sure on how you're components on board will react to the hot glue which is being poured over them!!!

This is just my suggestion and hope to get myself also cleared. And many of our friends here can provide you with more solutions and suggestions.

Regards,
    Vairavan.L

Senior Member T-1000

Default Re: Need Info on Epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by dinar
    I am suppose to hand over one of my project for testing at couple of my friends and get it tested for real world use. I want to keep the circuitry protected from begin copied and also make it strong to survive abuse.
    What sort of epoxy material or for that matter any other solution can be used to fill the box with it.
    This is just for prototypes, so please let me know what can be used.
    Once you use epoxy to cover your circuit, there is no way for you to remove it later.

That said, this is how I use epoxy... Get yourself Araldite or equivalent. Its a two part polymer. It sticks to almost anything except plastic. So get your self a plastic box just a little bigger than your PCB. Or line the box with plastic sheet. Pour a bit of the epoxy mixture and let it settle to a small thin slab. Once this has hardened, place your PCB with the solder side downwards and pour some more mixture around it. Let it cure for about 24 hours.

An epoxy mixture won't stand more than 30 minutes. So prepare just enough, or it may go waste.

Since epoxy is expensive, if the volume you need to fill is large then you should get yourself some filler. Dry sawdust or sand works great. So Mix some sand or sawdust with epoxy mixture to increase the volume. You'll also get a fancy matte finish on your block after its cured.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

I use m-seal at times

Junior Member User

Thanks guys, I think I get the idea. I have to fill the entire case of 7inch by8inch by2.5 inch. with this. At least i am thinking now, or I may just cover random parts of the board.

Junior Member Newbie

i think ,

silicon gel is better option, a good grade gels (soft & fluffy afer full dry) can be peal off easily, and is use as insulation for electronics.

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by nchandra
    i think ,

silicon gel is better option, a good grade gels (soft & fluffy afer full dry) can be peal off easily, and is use as insulation for electronics.
    Many of these gels release acetic acid on curing and may damage the traces and metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MohitM
    Quote Originally Posted by nchandra
    i think ,

Many of these gels release acetic acid on curing and may damage the traces and metal.
    Silicon gel would do fine for protecting the underside of the pcb. Tried it personally, and works great.

Regards,

Debu

Junior Member User

I tried the arialdite but there's heating issues. Does any one know what the black dot in single chips boards found in calculators and watches is? I think that can dissipate heat .
    I just needs this solution for few prototypes.

Senior Member T-1000

I tried the arialdite but there's heating issues.
    If there's a heat sink somewhere, face it upwards or make it taller and don't let it drown in epoxy.

Does any one know what the black dot in single chips boards found in calculators and watches is? I think that can dissipate heat .
    Funnily enough, that black thing is epoxy too. In fact, almost all ICs are epoxy bonded. And not that it matters here, but there is hardly any heat dissipation in watches and calculators... If there was, you'd be changing batteries every week and not be using a coin cell.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in