Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIC programmer - URGENT

Default PIC programmer - URGENT

I need a readymade PIC programmer that can program a wide range of chips. and comes with bundled software to compile the code and copy it to the PIC. Is such a programmer available in mumbai? If yes- where ?(pls specify address/contact no).
    How much would it cost?

PS: I have to build an autonomos robot within 2 weeks time. I know C and C++ well. can i use some variant of C to program the PIC? would it be difficult to learn that language in given time? Apart from that what technical expertise will i require? (So far I have built parallel port based robots only)

I have to start frm basics of PIC. if you can suggest me anything that helps, i'd very thankful

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Junior Member Newbie

Default PIC proggrammer

hi there,
    i wont recommend buying a pic programmer,instead go for a home built one. Its "much" cheaper than the commercial one. The details of a really good one are posted under the circuits section on www.hamradioindia.com, it can program most of the PICs. I have built one myself and im satisfied with the results.
    you will need MPLAB for writting the program(assembly), further you can add a trial version of C18 compiler, both of them could be downloaded from www.microchip.com
    PICs are easy to work with and are widely available in mumbai. It all depends on the kind of project you are working on.( but '2 weeks' is a hard target to meet)
    The initial stage is slow but after a few lines of code, life will get much easier.
    Thats it, hope this helps.
    Cya,
    MoHiT

Member User

Hi,
    Mohit is right, getting a commercial programmer is a costly affair. The circuit is very simple and can be made on our own. If still you want to save your efforts in PCB making and soldering it, i can source you one. Please see details at:
    http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules...ic&p=1957#1957

Sunil

I have seen ckt for the elcheapo programmer, but right now i need a readymade reliable solution.

Question: Suppose I use something like printf() or getch() in the C code what will the PIC do. I'm sure the compiler has somthing which will prevent usage of such functions that are not supported by PIC. I just downloaded HI-TECH C.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Question: Suppose I use something like printf() or getch() in the C code what will the PIC do. I'm sure the compiler has somthing which will prevent usage of such functions that are not supported by PIC. I just downloaded HI-TECH C.
    These functions are available in HI-TECH C, and offcourse PIC supports it.

getch() - waits for a character input to uC's serial input through RS232

printf() - outputs the specified string to computer terminal through RS232

Regds

happy_99

JDM programmer is a good choice for PIC and ICPROG1.05c version for burning software

If you are not on a tight budget, I would strongly recommend buying the PicKit 3 directly.

Home made clones are good and enjoyable to make but its an unnecessary intermediate step that delays your first hello world project with PIC. Also, packaging a home made programmer to be sturdy enough to toss around is another little project.

I have made 3 PIC programmers so far (David Tait style, Inchworm + and Junebug). All work perfect and I love them. But I still feel like buying a PicKit 3.

Morover, you will almost surely need a USB programmer since parallel and serial ports are gone. So your only choices are Junebug or PicKit.

Senior Member Cyborg
    Blog Entries
    http://www.onlinetps.com/
    Online Component Shoppe
    Microcontrollers and Solar Robotics Stuffs at cheap rates

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

shamelessly ignoring the fact that the OP posted it about 4 years back -

The pic programmer at the above site belongs to :

http://feng3.cool.ne.jp/en/pg5v2.html

YOu can get all the components under 200, and the PCB layout and schematic and all is given at the site. Its at rip off @630, especially for an open sourced one.

And I would say, its NOT worth it. Its painfully slow, you will keep on changing the slide switches, (if you dont know what you are doing) and it can fail if your Desktop is quite new, and will NEVER work properly with the rs 250 usb-serial bridge for the laptop. I know because I have used them, hacked them and worked with them across many computers.

I would suggest a pickit 2. Its worth it.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

@OP : you can buy PICKIT3 or PICKIT2. They are the best bet for PIC.

@others:
    If you are really hell bent on making one, then i would suggest make a PICKIT2 clone.

Microchip released the schematic and code for it sometime back. Here is a pointer to one such clone if you are interested.
    http://www.mcuhobby.com/news.php?readmore=5