Thread: guidance for an amateur

Junior Member Newbie

Default guidance for an amateur

Hi everyone!

Wish i had known about this gr8 site earlier...
    well i have just started of with robotics and wanna build a line follower...

kindly help me out with the following points if possible

1. should i go for stepper or dc motors and wat should be the specification of the motors...as in rpm, degrees per pulse

2. i plan to use AT89c52 or 8051....is there any other chip which can serve the purpose better

3. wat kinda battery can i use that is not too big but must be rechargeable....and give me about 1.5 A...

4. will coding with steppers be too tough like i ve jus started reading Kenneth Ayala's 8051......is there anything else i must read

5. i plan to use infrared.......on the bottom of the robot to track the line....can i also add bump sensors on sides to avoid obstacles

6. i hav heard of L293D as a motor driver IC...but if i use a stepper which one to use

7. Any other tips u wud wanna give a beginner..

Thanks a ton for all the help!!

use ULN2803 to drive stepper and L293D to drive DC motors

u can interface anything u want to the controller be it IR,cam,bump sensors,pressure sensors etc

for a mobile robot i always use a NiCd batteries and while testing use a DC adaptor able to supply varying voltages

go for a controller with which u r comfortable

a line follower can be done using any motor,i always prefer a stepper over DC

Junior Member Newbie

Default hi

Hi,
    There are so many different ways of building line following robots, using geared, non-geared or stepper motors. Since you are starting out, geared motors should be your 1st preference, coz,they are very very easy to work with.
    A simple line following robot doesnt even need a microcontroller. I have seen simple line following robots going much much faster then their uC counterparts.
    If you still insist on stepper motors and uCs, my personal favorites are PICs. and to make ur job easier, go for UCN5804B stepper controller.(a bit expensive)
    So do some research and take a decission.
    BTW we have a line following robotics competion at our college(Atharva College oF Engineering, Malad, Mumbai) on 2nd Feb. If u complete urs before that, you are most welcome to participate.
    Cya,
    MoHiT
    www.botic.com/mobots

u can use simply 3 IR sensors and motors driven by the output of those IR sensors but the path of the robot wont be so smooth............

for exact path, u have to use microcontroller.......u can use 8051 but better one is 8052S which is insystem programmable and reduces chances of breaking the pins of it.

its better to use L293D otherwise u hav to make H-bridge which may not give actual results if u did some mistake in makin the circuit.

Junior Member Newbie

hi ...
    thanks mohit for ur advice but u dont understand how to make the line tracker without a uC....

thanks a_iitian.......well where can i get more info on an H-bridge..i hav heard of L293D but wat is an H-Bridge..and should i use steppers or DC motors..

thanks once again..

ciao...

-kaushal.

Senior Member T-1000

.and should i use steppers or DC motors..
    If you have feedback from your sensors,then DC motors will do...

i use DC motors:
    http://www.machinegrid.com/content/view/24/55/

8)