Thread: Best FET and FET Driver Choices for an H-Bridge?

Default Best FET and FET Driver Choices for an H-Bridge?

Hello Everyone,

I'm designing a 50V 8A+ Bipolar driver. I'm new to Discrete H-Bridges and plus I'm not very familiar with all the New MOSFETS and MOSFET Drivers in the market. I was wondering if you can share your experience with MOSFETS and MOSFET Drivers.

So far the Drivers I came across are

* Intersil HIP4082
    * IRS2304
    * Microchip TC4424

And The MOSFETS

* STF40NF06
    * IRFZ24
    * IRFZ44
    * IRF9530 and IRF540

Well I came across plenty of other parts as well. Lets jus say the more U seek the More U find in this case. Just before I decide on one part I come across another which seemed better(btw My knowledge on MOSFETS is Very Limited. So cant really say if its Really a Better one I jus found). So I was wondering if someone can help me pick the right Driver and MOSFET for a Driver with the following Specs

* Dual H-Bridge (MOSFET) Bipolar Stepper Driver 8A+ @ 50V
    * Step Sequencing will be done using a PIC or Atmega uC
    * Step Rate will be in the range of 2000-3500 Pulses/Second
    * Current Limiting is done using an External PWM @ 20kHz

Please Advice!

Thank You.

Joe!

Senior Member T-1000

Try IRF3205 and IRF4905. Both have very low Rdson. You could also use IRF540 and IRF9530 but heatsinks should be used.

For the driver, none of Microchip's drivers work beyond 18V so you may have to look elsewhere. I have no idea of Intersil and IRs range of drivers so can't help you there.

You could also try MOSFET drivers made from discretes. I'd attach an image of the schematic if only somebody could tell me how to use one from my hard disk.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Senior Member Android

Default hi

@mohitM
    first upload image on any image sharing site, like imageshack. once you upload the image it will give you some tags. use those tags in forum. image will be displayed in place of that tag.
    further information can be obtained from the BBCode hyperlink which is visible when you are in typing window of Post Reply in RI.

Senior Member T-1000

first upload image on any image sharing site, like imageshack. once you upload the image it will give you some tags. use those tags in forum. image will be displayed in place of that tag.
    further information can be obtained from the BBCode hyperlink which is visible when you are in typing window of Post Reply in RI.
    That's too much of a hassle. Could the site owner/s do something easier?
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in