Thread: Is there partiality really there in TechFests?

Default Is there partiality really there in TechFests?

I just read about the IITKGP Kshitij 2005 article. I was shocked to know that partiality of such high order could exist even in IITs.

If everything goes on well, them im expected to go for my first Techfest outside my hometown... Ive been spending endless days and nights on my project But now such posts are scaring me.

Is it true with most other colleges? How about MSU Baroda, and BITS, Goa?

Dont think of all that dude..
    Its all part of the game.
    After all what are you going for ? The experience of course, the world is full of these kind of people and you should know it and accept it.

So prepare in the earnest to participate, never think about the prizes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tijoseymathew
    Dont think of all that dude..
    Its all part of the game.
    After all what are you going for ? The experience of course, the world is full of these kind of people and you should know it and accept it.

So prepare in the earnest to participate, never think about the prizes.
    :!: :!: :!: :twisted:

tijosemathew!!

Its people like you and this very same attitude of " chalta hai" that has brought about injustice all around!!!

Unfair practices cannot and should not be a part of any game!!!!

the world is full of these kind of people and you should know it and accept it.
    What are you saying???

You mean people should keep quiet when there is injustice and unfair practices ???

I don't think you should. Acceptance of injustice is more sinful than the sin itself.
    You should not forget: the kids spend a LOT of money, time and effort with a lot of enthusiasm and hopes. They dont mind losing but to lose because the rules were changed when they were on the train doesn't qualify for silence and forbearance. ....and do you know the disappoint ment and the mental trauma that every student feels, in the face of such
    malpractices by the Host organizers????
    Speak for yourself, my friend -but don't propagate the " chalta hai" principle around the young minds.

You represent an organization. Please stop advising kids to be silent and a part of injustice and malpractice. Albeit, its your responsibility, as an Organization, to stand up for justice and support the sufferers, hence safeguarding their rights, rather than ask them to accept, ignore or undergo the punishment of malpractice silently.....

By doing this, you are maligning the name of your Organisation that you represent , on a public forum, and have attempted to corrupt the student sufferers to be a part of injustice.
    What is this: are you a part of IITM ?? or their representative, like so many students recruited and paid by them, around India???

Shame !

You must THINK carefully, before you advise others.

( I can very well delete your post for impropriety, but will not do so. I will delete my comments when you delete yours.)
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

lets see it this way !

1) you are a kid. ( a college kid)
    2) you read the Rules of a competition
    3) you design a robot according to the rules
    4) you send an abstract (still dont understand why ! - the rules are the abstract !!)
    5) you make the robot ( lots of money, effort)
    6) you book the ticket, board the train
    7) reach the venue, only to realise they changed the rules a day back
    8) they disqualify you for not sticking to the rules
    9) OR, the arena has changed so that your robot, optimised for the original arena dont have a chance!!

so, you, whoever you are, prepare earnestly to participate, never thinking about the prizes, will be happy to come back? or will you be disappointed !!

I was once a kid. we all were. There is a difference between losing to a good opponent, and losing to partial judges and stupid paperworks.

HOST Teams should NOT participate. There is a huge money involved in competitions in premier institutes. Th sponsors come in because there is a HUGE coverage, because there is a lot of competitiors. Techfests are a success because of the participating teams, NOT because of the college. Its the participators who make the fest success and brings in huge money to their institute.!!!

THEY HAVE A COMMITMENT to the participants. The partiality and last minute rule changes in IITS have been discussed many times! The participants have to raise a voice, as it destroys the motivation of many students !!
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Default I lost many times

Hi all I wish to share an experience....the year was 1999....i went to city montesery school(CMS) lucknow...the event was BEAM robotics(now I guess beam robots are dead)........there was an event solar roller......I had made a solar car(the fastest one) using monocrystaline solar cell after breaking my 900/- 4W solar panel.........those organizers (the owners of solarbotics) changed the rules so that solarbotics could sell their polycrystaline solar roller kits with a solar engine (made with a pager motor and super .33F capacitor and a few handfull of components)......my solar car was the fastest yet they simply disqualified it..........so things like this are very common. Yes I make robots for myself and I am proud of what all I have made...........

Did any one notice this for the first time IITB is having a competetion for grown ups(non students) and that why only for micromouse event......why for so many yrs there were no competition for passes out students......we ppl kept asking for such events.........the answer is simple....I may be wrong but I feel the answer is Ash*** *****...........he has passed out as a student and he was the best one at micromouse so they know even if there is one such event he is bound to win and he will win as there will be few grown ups for this micromouse event.................simple breeze..........sorry for saying all this...........the moderators can remove this post if they feel its too personal or unethical..........

Hey are you guys not overreacting???

The guy who opened the post wants to know if there is injustise prevaling in colleges ? well if you go on like this then he will be discouraged to do any more projects in his life! What he wants is some encouragements to go on...

I should have advised him to participate but to fight if there is any injustice shown to him at the event. So should you also, dont make it out that there is malpractice in each and every event. I went for IITM techfest this time and didnt find any instance of malpractice, the best team IITM's won. They did have the hometown advantage, so does the Indian Cricket Team when they play in India.

PS: You may delete my post anytime, no hard feelings.

Blog Entries

Well ....Asimov !! What a pity !

And now , IITB is following the same footsteps the Solarbotics marked. They are selling ALL the materials needed for the Techfest event. They have so many dedicated on-line sellers who sell ONLY the components needed for the Techfest. Infact, the Techfest rules werte designed to force the participants to use those particular components sold by the IIT authorised Seller.

Robotics events are big biz , right now. The sponsors shell out crores in sponsorships. Who benefits??

The host, ofcourse.
    1. They 'use' outside participants to show off their technical might. And they disqualify outside participants for stupid reasons, other than the Rules put up by them ( changed, always when the participants are on the Train enroute).

2. They ask for Abstracts, upto 10mb. complete with Circuits, explanations, components, photographs, Videos.
    So, they get 100s of ideas and techniques, simply sitting there!
    The participants know very little about the arena, while the Hosts have the arena 24hrs of the time, for atleast 6months. When the Participants get there, they are given about 10mins time, that too after a lot of haggling,begging etc...

3. Their Forums prove that they change the rules at will, depending on the inputs and feedback from the participants, who reveal their designs to the host , months in advance. These rule change takes place, I bet, after the Hosts try out the design and see if it is better than theirs.

4. A lot of relevant queries in their forum is unanswered. Why??
    It means that tehy want the queries to be "private" !!
    Just go there and SEE for yourselves!!!!!

5. I heard a real good one: Dual Frequency Transmitter........
    Now, they want a 4 Frequency transmitter !!! WELL well...... Where does one get those, and in 4 days time since they changed THAT rule???

6. The Techfest rules specify components that are millimeter specific.
    3. The size of the solar cell must not exceed 15 sq. inches (9678 square mm), (excluding the casing) in size.
    HO!! What a joke!!!! When Solarcells are extremely rare in India!!!!!
    ......and then they "sell" those exact dimension Solarcells on-line , through maybe another ex-IITian right through their Forums.

....and they get away from these unjust malpractices every year, with a Big name!! And the discouraged victims of the unjust Rules keep silent about all these, just mumbling their dissent into their personal towels and no more. These poor kids are encouraged to bear with , shut up and be an active part of the many Rule-breaking malpractices, by others.

Time to write, guys!! .....and write to the Sponsors- show them that they are being a part of this Host dominated tamasha, in the name of a National & International Technical event.

Go to the Techfest Forum and see for yourselves, before this post triggers some gross deletions and shut-downs !!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Hello Everyone,

I just returned from the BITS-Goa Tech Fest, Quark 09. I personally didnt win in my event, but I have no regrets for the way it was conducted. There was no cheating as I had expected initially. Things were all transparent and clear there. My fellow team came 3rd, and before that there was some contraversy when we were elminated by them in the knockouts. But we protested saying that since you need the best robos to be the winners, ours stand in the top 3 according to the scores. They said they needed time to think over it, and after discussion among themselves, they selected us along with one other team for the finals as well. Finally we came 3rd. We appreciated the way they took fair decision, and mantained complete transparency.

My advise for any one going for a tech fest...
    " Go buddy! You'l learn a lott! Theres a lot more to learn in a tech fest apart from your own event. "

Thanks all of you who posted above... I went mentally prepared for odd things, and am mentaly prepared for the future tech fests in other colleges as well.

Senior Member Cyborg

just see moral of the whole story came out itself...
    Participating in competition should not be just for money i believe, these are for squeezing the practical know how from our whole theoretical engg. course.
    How partial coordinator may be one should gives his (himself) work a chance....
    but the trend like tailoring the event just for some hobby kit supplier are not good,
    .I may be wrong but I feel the answer is Ash*** *****...........he has passed out as a student
    come on man don t be a aajtak, forging controversies from the idea are not for us, techfest iitb is bigger than an individual
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.