Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensors and Computer Interfacing.

Junior Member Newbie

Default Sensors and Computer Interfacing.

Guys our Institute is organizing a themed hardware event called"Sensors and Computer Interfacing". So suggest our team something. We are planning to build a wireless mobile device, but we are having a problem that which type of sensors should we use. :?:

What kind of a wireless mobile device ? What does it do?
    I think you can probably use either infrared (but limited by line of sight) , RF pairs or bluetooth modules (bulky).....

RF pair would be a good option. But even that isnt quite small enough to make a "mobile device"....

If line of sight is not a problem , then use IR , it will be compact...

Junior Member Newbie

Default .

Sorry for less info. BTW we are planning to make a device that collects info. and is wirelessly connected to a computer that may store, process or display the collected info. But we are confused about what are the specific sensors that can be used for such purpose. :?:

What is the range you expect?
    What kind of info are you collecting?
    And what is the kind of data that you will be transmitting?
    If it is complex/high speed then you cannot use infrared.

You will have to use either RF or blue tooth i guess.

As far as i know, bluetooth modules with inbuilt stack support are not available in india. It will be hideously expensive if you try to import it.

I think you can try using RF pairs.

What have you thought of till now?

Senior Member T-1000

I have this idea for a long time... But I just do not have the time to do anything about it, in the short and the mid term. Anyway, here goes...

Its a wireless Weather Station, having two units. The mobile station is placed outside complete with temperature, relative-humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind-speed etc. sensors and a cell phone. The microcontroller reads all the sensors and passes it to the cell. The cell phone then sends periodically (say, once every 30 seconds) through SMS all this raw data to the base station which has another cell phone. This receiver cell phone connects to a PC which processes and displays all the relevant data. It could do this through a webpage that could be viewed remotely on the net.

The cell phones could have a plan that allows unlimited free SMS.

I am sure there are commercial products like this out there.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MohitM
    I have this idea for a long time... But I just do not have the time to do anything about it, in the short and the mid term. Anyway, here goes...

Its a wireless Weather Station, having two units. The mobile station is placed outside complete with temperature, relative-humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind-speed etc. sensors and a cell phone. The microcontroller reads all the sensors and passes it to the cell. The cell phone then sends periodically (say, once every 30 seconds) through SMS all this raw data to the base station which has another cell phone. This receiver cell phone connects to a PC which processes and displays all the relevant data. It could do this through a webpage that could be viewed remotely on the net.

The cell phones could have a plan that allows unlimited free SMS.

I am sure there are commercial products like this out there.
    Thanks dude we were also planning for the same thing but we were confused on the sensors to be used. As you've mentioned the sensors like temp. ,humidity, atm. pressure, wind speed etc. Are they readily available in market? BTW I'm not in India but am in Nepal.

Senior Member T-1000

In the electronics industry, you will never have a problem if your quantity requirement is either less than 5 or more than 100,000. If its somewhere in between, I don't know.

Try Farnell or RS Electronics. They should not be too expensive, only 5-10 times what the real price is. But, then you just need a few!

Good luck!
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Junior Member Newbie

Default .

Ah BTW should I post this thing here or not ? We are planning a wireless communication between PC and the outdoor station. Is RF good for the purpose? Are there any specific things to be taken care during the project or any problems(I think I'll post it later) .

Junior Member Newbie

Default .

Ah...now commencing our project.
    BTW what type of sensors are available for measurement for the atmos. pressure. :?:
    And we are using the HH10D as humidity sensor, how is this? Is it harder to interface ....

OFF TOPIC: For wireless communication, serial or parallel port??? Reasons??

Junior Member Newbie

Default .

Ah...now commencing our project.
    BTW what type of sensors are available for measurement for the atmos. pressure. :?:
    And we are using the HH10D as humidity sensor, how is this? Is it harder to interface ....

OFF TOPIC: For wireless communication, serial or parallel port??? Reasons??