Thread: ARP - freeduino and Cutting Costs and Rs 500 Limit

Blog Entries

Default ARP - freeduino and Cutting Costs and Rs 500 Limit

Hello

As you guys know im planning to use Arduino as the robot platform for ARP.

Now arduino has some copy right issues , which i will not go into here. But another fork freeduino can be built renamed and sold without problems.

The board im targeting for fabrication is the Second Serial board given in the link

http://www.freeduino.org/files.html

What do you guys think will be the production cost of such a board in quantities of 100 + .

And If any way we can save on costs do enlighten me.

For now here are some Ideas for cost cutting -

1. USB will not be built in - Increases costs and USB->Serial Cables offer better price performace than FDTI SMD Fabrication.

2. MAX 232 will be replaced with minimal cost transistor based rs232 Level Convertor - Will save about Rs 25
    http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/simpleSIO/ssio.htm

3. Mega8 for now , I dont know prices of Mega 168 though its better.

4. Mountable HBridge again transistor based. Called a Shield in Arduino terminology.

My Idea is to get the whole robot platform manufactured under Rs 500 , now that will be something !!!

Regards
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

2. MAX 232 will be replaced with minimal cost transistor based rs232 Level Convertor - Will save about Rs 25
    MAX232 from TI(Texas Instruments) Costs about rs18- 20 , then how u r gonna save rs25 ?

also

L293d FROM TI costs rs 55 to 60 i think it will be much better than transistor based solution as L293d has thermal shutdown. And it is much easier to fry a transistor during experimentation. At least L293d can be replaced (if mounted on a socket) thus saving the whole board.

One more thing the USB to serial convertor that is available in India (BAFO make) crashes the whole system (PC) very often. Then the COM port is locked and unavailable.(This is my experience others who have used BAFO pls give your opinion)

*Cost in Mumbai
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Hi all,
    The price given for the board vikas chose is Rs 850 approx belived that you buy single board.Now vikas is saying to remake.I think think the cost of components & PCB (excluding Uc) will be easily managed in Rs 125.I'm not using MAX232 as vikas said it is replaced by a small circuit.The cost of Atmega 168 is around Rs 110 if you buy 100+.

The link here:
    http://www.stkcheck.com/evs/atmel/at...part=ATmega168

All the Uc are Atmega 168 but with different packaging style & distributors.

I don't have much ideas now for cost cutting but some are here:

1. Buy everything in bulk.
    2. Don't use IC Base.
    3. Bargain as much as you can.
    4. Don't go for branded stuff.

Regards Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!

i disagree with IC base suggestion. its better to have the IC base as people can easily take the IC out and replace with the newer one.

I think the boards can be sold without the components soldered .

Hi all,
    Now i have also realized that a IC BAse is a must.Sorry for such a silly suggestion.

I think there should be both the choices soldered and non soldered.When you buy a board from any website, most of the money is for soldering.The components can easily come in 300 bucks to 500 bucks.

I think it should be soldered its the place where you can make profits.

Regards Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!

BAFO works fine in my system which is VISTA Home Premium. Ports are not locked as you said. , infact you can select so that it changes every time or sticks to one specific number.

Blog Entries

Looks like i have to check the latest bulk prices. I had the idea Max232 = Rs 30 . Maybe should hit LRM once again.

The IC's will be in bases, That way Mega8 can be upgraded to Mega168 etc.Also Broken IC's can be replaced.

As the H-Bdrige will be a mountable component, people wanting better or more powerful one can easily upgrade.

Any Idea what will be the cost of Single Sided vs Double Sided PCB Fab. Cause the the current one is double sided one.

Yes BAFO is not very reliable , But most people already own usb to serial ( I myself have 4 ) and we can save costs here. Also try using a software called termite than hyperterminal, HT just is a pain to use.
    Vikas Patial

Default how about USB from firmware using atmega8

Hi gang,
    Vikas I was wondering why not use an Atmega8 with a firmware for USB drivers something like USBASP , I guess debu can help us with the PC side driver and protocol as he has developed good projects on usb .

Atmega8 costs about 45 INR , 12MHZ crystal 5 INR , USB cable 20 INR, PCB for the circuit 10 INR. Passive 10 INR.

secondly for H-bridge keep upgradeable option of ld293 and L298 option.

this is just a suggestion

asimov