Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import duties for ordering a 75$ embedded hardware kit

Default Import duties for ordering a 75$ embedded hardware kit

Hi all,
    I am residing in delhi and was interested to import a specific embedded hardware kit which is worth 75$ and being imported from singapore.
    The kit consists of an ARM proc based embedded kit + a few wireless modules.

Could someone please post the probably custom duty applicable in my case.
    And is the process complicated??

Regards,

Humpty

Blog Entries

Depends how you get it. Govt Postal services there is no duty , but they are unreliable and slow.

DHL,UPS etc duty is based on declared costs.

Maybe 30 - 40 % , cant really say. The DHL / UPS person will collect the duty from your house , you dont need to go anywhere.
    Vikas Patial

But is there someone who has first hand experience in such a case?
    As I am ordering this kit for my personal use and 30-40% is a big variable for me.

I was expecting someone to give me the exact duty and the overhead expenses for the same and also ways to minimize it.

Regards,

Humpty

PS: I can also consider going to the customs office in New Delhi if there might be significant cost savings and ACCEPTABLE babudom from the Customs office?

Blog Entries

There is no exact figure , Ive ordered many times and i only come to know about the duty when the Courier guy calls up.

Just order and see , sometimes you get around it by having the seller mark your goods as samples.
    Vikas Patial

i too want to order stuff but duty is what i am concerned about. if someone can share their experiences that would be great. i also heard from someone that only companies are allowed to import and individuals cannot import.... what does that mean?

Default office office

[quote=
    PS: I can also consider going to the customs office in New Delhi if there might be significant cost savings and ACCEPTABLE babudom from the Customs office?[/quote]

jus remember.... Pandey nahi Pandey JI kehna... :wink:

Pandi Ji nahi PAndey Sir Ji :lol: .
    Yeah being a student of a Govt college I am well aware of the antics of sarkari babus.

I had just one more question.

How can I be sure that the duty being applied to the goods is correct . If there can be less duty applied (as pointed out by Vikas) there also can be excess of it. Do the courier companies confirm with their customer ,regarding under what chapter of the customs law(or whatever) are the goods being listed.

Thx a lot for you help guys.

Regards,

Humpty

Good question humpty dumpty, i hope sum1 answers that.

btw, duty is just half the story, they have ways to extort money from ppl... thats because it starts with a base customs duty and then they add countervailing duties, Special countervailing duty, excise cess, customs cess, education cess etc. even if an item is duty free.... that doesn't mean you'll really get it duty free.

Senior Member T-1000

Done it a lot of times... Duty comes to about 22% of the item cost + freight charges.

Microchipdirect.com charges this percentage (last time I ordered was a year back) for shipping through FedEx. But since the standard rate of duty has come down a bit so total should be less than 20%.

How can I be sure that the duty being applied to the goods is correct .
    Depends on how the goods are declared. Check out Chapter 85 and Chapter 90 here...
    http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0809/cst-main.htm

btw, duty is just half the story, they have ways to extort money from ppl... thats because it starts with a base customs duty and then they add countervailing duties, Special countervailing duty, excise cess, customs cess, education cess etc.
    That is really to protect Indian industry from lower priced imports. If an Indian product is sold, it attracts excise duty, cess, and VAT... So in effect the Indian product's end-user price has a 15%-20% 'markup' on the factory price. If an equivalent price imported product came to the market with just the import duty (free-to-10% presently) and no other duties, it would be cheaper than the Indian product. So to rationalise, the Indian government has these add-on duties on the imports, which is really all those duties and cess that a similar Indian product attracts.

So this is not really extortion.

The good news is that the customs don't bother with stuff that is less than $100-$150 and shipped through postal services. The resources, paper-work, man-hours involved in such low value goods doesn't make sense for them to put in any effort. So these things just sail through the customs.

HTH,
    Mohit.

Hi Mohit thanx for your so informative post.
    I had checked the Chapter 85(which is of my interest) and on page 20 it says that there is no duty on
    "Processors and controllers, whether or not combined with memories,
    converters, logic circuits, amplifiers, clock and timing circuits, or other circuits"

so except for the freight charges(which I understand might ONLY be shipping charges) what are other charges / taxes levyed both by the govt and the courier company(lets assume that to be Fedex).

And how can I know about them?
    Regards,

Pranay