Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Import duties for ordering a 75$ embedded hardware kit

Senior Member T-1000

This is from a bill of entry for some items we ordered from UK last month... Its a medical/scientific instrument assessable for 7.5% custom duty.

This is how it looks like:

1. Invoice value (C&F) = GBP 1935.02 ~= INR 143,095.00
    This was paid by our bankers to the shipper about a week before shipment.

2. Insurance charged @ 1.125% = INR 1610.00
    The shippers (TNT) did not charge insurance, so the customs charged this amount. Duties have to be charged on Carriage, Insurance & Freight paid, i.e. CIF amounts. If not insured, then the customs have their own percentage like the one here, that they add.

3. Landing charges = Rs. 1447.00
    Again charged by the customs.

4. Total assessable value = Rs. 146152.00

5. Basic duty @ 7.5% = Rs. 10961.00

6. Sub total so far = Rs. 157113.00

7. Additional duties:
    a. 4% = Rs. 6284.00 (this is 4% of 6 above)
    b. 3% = Rs. 189.00 (this is 3% of 7a)
    c. 3% = Rs. 523.00 (this is 3% of total of basic duty 5, 7a & 7b)
    d. 4% = Rs. 6564.00 (this is 4% of total of basic duty 5, 7a, 7b & 7c)

Total duties: Rs. 24521.00

Which comes to 16.78% of total assessable value.
    And assessable value itself is 2.1% more than what we paid to the seller (remember insurance and landing charges).

So total is about 18.9% ~= 19% duty for a medical/scientific product.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect from the customs department.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Thanks a lot Mohit for your soooooo informative reply.
    It shall help me greatly in deciding if i should go ahead with my purchase.

Regards,

Pranay
    www.pranaysharma.in

Blog Entries

Nice breakout Mohit.

Any Idea for getting cheap stuff imported from China ? . DHL /kg does not make sense.
    Vikas Patial

@humpty_Dumpty: A few week ago, I ordered some electronic components from digikey, (including controllers, and fully assembled power supply PCB's). The total worked out to be USD1660.00 (including USD90 shipping), it was shipped via UPS, arrived in 9 days, and I made a check out to UPS for INR21373 towards duty and excise. According to google (clickie) USD1660 is INR78766.3, which means I payed 27.13% over the cost of the components and shipping.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by debu
    @humpty_Dumpty: A few week ago, I ordered some electronic components from digikey, (including controllers, and fully assembled power supply PCB's). The total worked out to be USD1660.00 (including USD90 shipping), it was shipped via UPS, arrived in 9 days, and I made a check out to UPS for INR21373 towards duty and excise. According to google (clickie) USD1660 is INR78766.3, which means I payed 27.13% over the cost of the components and shipping.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu
    Do you have a bill of entry? Did they give a breakup? Because I think you were overcharged. There is no way it should be 27%.

Ask them for the Bill of Entry. Usually when imports are below Rs. 1 lakh, the customs creates a 'General Bill of Entry' where they enter a number of different consignments in the same BoE. This isn't usually given by the courier company to the consignor. But if you ask for it, they will give a photocopy. The BoE gives a breakup and you can find out what they charged and how. And if they say they don't have a BoE, then tell them no goods can enter India without a BoE.

www.microchipdirect.com charge customs duties before shipment in the bill they create. FedEx ships the goods, clears it and delivers it to your place, without asking for any extra charges. I created a fake order (of ICs, microcontrollers, a development board with programmer) to find out what they charge these days. It turns out that the duty is $18.48 on a $193.29 purchase (freight included). About 9.5%. See it over here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/schouse/...90927137609858

Debu, probably they included a hefty handling/customs clearance charges in the Rs. 21373 that you paid.

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    Nice breakout Mohit.

Any Idea for getting cheap stuff imported from China ? . DHL /kg does not make sense.
    What kind of stuff?.. Is the consignment light or heavy? High-value or cheap?

WOW!! things are getting pretty interesting here

Mohit Sir is it possible for you to enlighten us on the "101 guide for exporting/importing things to India" and if not this then at-least answer to your last post.

I am very much interested to know about the same, specially as I am soon moving to an Eastern Country for my masters education.

And by the way I am right now not ordering my kit from US as the shipping charges for a 75$ kit is coming to be 105$ .

Regards,

Pranay

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by humpty_Dumpty
    Mohit Sir
    Please call me Mohit.

is it possible for you to enlighten us on the "101 guide for exporting/importing things to India"
    I'm not a know-all in this matter, but I'd be able to answer some questions. I'm actually not a regular importer. But sometimes we need things from overseas and so we do it.

if not this then at-least answer to your last post.
    Don't understand which answer to which post are you referring to.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in