Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License Voilation by Indian Vendors

Blog Entries

Default License Voilation by Indian Vendors

Hi all

I buy stuff from online vendors and am thinking of small shop here at Robotics India.

I just wanted to know what do you guys think about license violation of various indian vendors are doing, For ex -

1. Using V-USB for commercial usage and never releasing the source , semantics , codes etc ( UsbASP , USB to Serial etc ).

2. Modifying GPL code and changing headers to your own company's name and description. Calling the code as their own.

3. Mainly using Open Domain stuff and violating attached license.

But companies like spark fun etc adhere to guidelines very strictly releasing code and semantics along with the product.

So what do you guys think about this.

Regards
    Vikas Patial

@vikas: Well, its kind of obvious, since IP protection laws in our country have very little importance (Maybe, absolutely none) with our law bodies, these vendors that you refer to don't give a ####. Also, even if one does expose the fraud that these vendors are committing, the buyers (who don't have any better source) don't care.

Kind of sad, really unfortunate.

Regards,

Debu

Senior Member T-1000

Hi,

Can you name some Vendors/Products ? Using someone else's code and not giving credit ?
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Blog Entries

I will not take any names but its a problem with a lots of vendors.

@avnish_g since you asked , Ill point that the for ex AVR USB programmer on your site is USBASP which though does not have any properly defined license but still falls under V-USB license .

http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/license.html

Are you doing the following ?
    Vikas Patial

Default I liked your concern

Hi Vikas,
    I really liked what you really pointed out. Free codes commercialized....................

asimov

Blog Entries

Time someone showed the rule book...

Business here is SO unethical that its a shame :evil:
    I have seen plenty of violations and have reported them quite a few times.

Time we started cleaning up a bit.....
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

But what can one do to make an effect ?

Reporting them due to them being outside jurisdiction of most people , no actions would be taken.
    Vikas Patial

@vikas: Boldly and publicly criticizing them on a forum such as this is a start .

Regards,

Debu

Default Well There can be a win win solution as well

Hi all,
    Lets get to the point. If these vendors were to give any royalty they would simply pass that on to the consumers buying these products.

Instead They should charge for their orignal efforts/hard work after all their work needs to be paid for. India is a poor country and software engineers cant go empty stomach. I work work as a software engineer and this is what I think from an economic perspective. Earning money is really hard. I guess if Avinash/Avnish went on to buy a commercial VID an PID we would go bankrupt as he might not be selling these many kits to recover the cost.

What Vikas rightly rightly pointed out was that they use some things from open software (VID and USBLIB support etc) and don't pay. Instead they should make something from scratch and can charge for it instead of finding short to work and yet ask for complete money for a product.

Frankly business and ethics don't go together very well. That the hard truth of life!!!!!!!

asimov

Blog Entries

No one is asked to pay , its just stated follow the license.

The license if followed properly does not want any money for commercial offerings. You dont need to buy anything from them , you just have to follow GPL and give the info free in accordance to the license.

No one is going bankrupt buying VID/PId's as you dont need to , just read the license. You just have to be open like the stuff you took from. Release code , semantics etc following the same license.

Also don't steal the code and say its written by you . One google search point to the source anyway.

So if you making money from someone else's hard work just follow the license and give credits where due , they never asked you to pay up ... its the least one can do.
    Vikas Patial