Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: License Voilation by Indian Vendors

Besides, giving credit to the original author will probably make him list your work on his site/page and get you much much more customers and fame. Beefs up your resume. And the best of all, shows the world that India has arrived ...

Senior Member T-1000

Who said we are not giving credit to Original creator ???

First of all USBasp (The USB Programmer for AVR MCUs) consist of

1)Hardware (Reference design by Objective development)
    2)Firmware only usb drivers (Objective development)
    3)The USBasp application firmware (by www.fischl.de/usbasp/)
    4)The PC End library for usb communication (libusb, LGPL licence, can be used in commercial software WITHOUT requiring to publish source )
    5)PC End application (by default command line based avr-dude)

The major portion of IMPORTANT of code consist of the

1)Firmware only usb drivers (By Objective development).

2)PC End Application. We provide our own GUI software as we were not satisfied by console based avrdude. It is more than 5000 line of code completely written and tested by me. And we are giving this for FREE to any user of USBasp in this World. In this way I think I am helping the community.

While the USBasp firmware is merely 576 lines of code(Not including the firmware only usb drivers which is written Obdev)

So I think we also have substantial contribution to the project.

If u see the about dialog of the application distributed by us, you can easily see the credits to creator of the HARDWARE!

@ Vikas

So don't u think writing and testing 5000 lines of code is a HARD WORK ???

You are just telling "original creator has done hard work"

WE ARE NOT JUST USING ANY ONE'S WORK, WE ARE DOING OUR WORK ALSO.

And from the child hood I don't liked copying others works I felt very sad when I see Bollywood movies copying Hollywood movie( I think 90% of bollywood is COPY)

AND IN THE CREDIT THAT SCROLLS IN THE END, THEIR IS A WRITTER OF STORY !!! AMAZING !!!

SOME ONE VERY CLEVERLY COPYING OTHERS VERY VERY HARD WORK AND MAKING MONEY. WITHOUT ANY SIGN OF CREDIT TO ORIGINAL CREATOR !!!

AS asimov_18 said
    Frankly business and ethics don't go together very well. That the hard truth of life!!!!!!!
    I also don't like the above fact but yes it is the fact.

The biggest names in Business world over proves it!

"Apple Inc Created the IPhone and LG says Join the touch revolution"

I would like to say more but time for lunch ... sorry
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

@avinash_g: I don't want to make any flame wars here, or to publicly criticize you for your work. However, I doubt that you are following the license of V-USB. According to the license you have to follow three points strictly (neither of which you are following).

1. Publish your entire project on a website and drop us a note with the URL. Use the Feedback Form for your submission. If you don't have a web site to publish your project, we can host it in our Wiki.
    I cannot seem to find any page on you website of the objective development Wiki; where your entire project is published. (entire project would mean, everything, including your board, your firmware, your GUI application, and libusb driver).

2. Adhere to minimum publication standards. Please include at least:

* a circuit diagram in PDF, PNG or GIF format
    * full source code for the host software
    * a Readme.txt file in ASCII format which describes the purpose of the project and what can be found in which directories and which files
    * a reference to our website at http://www.obdev.at/vusb/
    I cannot seem to find any of the above points. Neither the schematic, the layout of your board is available anywhere for viewing/downloading on your website,nor the full source code that you are using on your firmware, and I can't seem to see any reference to objective development anywhere.

3. If you improve the driver firmware itself, please give us a free license to your modifications for our commercial license offerings.
    Please don't take this badly; you have not followed the license, you are trying to profit from someone else work, without following the conditions they have set for it.

Regards,

Debu

Edit: And the same applies to:

* RoboKits India
    * Sunrom Technologies
    * NEX Robotics
    * eXtreme Electronics

They are all not following the license for V-USB. Hence they are stealing from objective development.

Blog Entries

@debu has said it pretty clearly, I dont need to say anything more.

And he has also listed some other vendors.

Just follow the rules , they have not asked you to pay anyone.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

Why should we publish them ??? Its already done by the creator of USBasp !

Neither the schematic, the layout of your board is available anywhere for viewing/downloading on your website,nor the full source code that you are using on your firmware, and I can't seem to see any reference to objective development anywhere.
    ALL ARE SAME AS PUBLISHED BY THE CREATOR of USBasp WHY WE PUBLISH A COPY???

:roll:
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

ALL ARE SAME AS PUBLISHED BY THE CREATOR of USBasp WHY WE PUBLISH A COPY???
    @avinash_g: Have you bothered to even read the license? :roll:

Allow me to spell it out for you.

Quoted from the V-USB license page (clickie)
    The firmware-only USB driver for AVR microcontrollers is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2 (GPL)...
    Quoted from the GNU GPLv2 (clickie)
    if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
    gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
    you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
    source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
    rights.
    This means that YOU (who is distributing the USBasp hardware for a fee) MUST tell everyone who is buying the aforementioned product that he/she is entitled to the GNU GPLv2. I don't see that anywhere on your site.

This also means that the license applies to YOU as well. As YOUR product that YOU are selling uses the code.

Once again quoted from the GNU GPLv2 (clickie)
    ...The "Program", below,
    refers to any such program or work, and a "work based on the Program"
    means either the Program or any derivative work under copyright law:
    that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of it...
    Over and above this, have you read the USBasp license (clickie)?

Its funny how you are impugning your own responsibility by claiming that its already been done by someone else. :lol:

And; Yes, you are breaking the LAW, by not following the license.

Regards,

Debu

Default Hi all lets all calm down

Hi All,
    This discussion is turning more into an altercation and counter arguments.........lets all calm down a bit............Vikas and Debu, I noticed one thing some(in Iran) has made a similar GUI software similar to what Avnish has done (Khazama AVR Programmer) present on Fischel USBASP page, He too hasn't shared his code. And Thomas Fishel doesn't really seemed to be irked by it...as long as the software is free to download. I guess Avnish can also foward his URL for downloading his software and end this endless argument.......

Just one thing I wish to say I really dont understand the free software stuff , Nothing is free , if avinish has put in a lot of time to write his software I think its his wish to share/not share his code. If he does share it would be better in robotics/embedded community as ppl will learn from his code. But as long as its free to download I PERSONALLY find it PRETTY ACCEPTABLE.

This is my personal opinion about this.

Asimov

@asimov_18: The Khazama AVR Programmer is a GUI frontend for AVRdude, which doesn't have the stringent license of V-USB.
    Secondly, we are not asking avinash to share his code for anything, rather we are asking him to follow the V-USB license which is for the USBasp clone that he sells on his online shop.
    Thirdly, this isn't about Avinash at all! This is about the lack of respect all the online shops have regarding copyright law, unfortunately for Avinash, he publicly decided to claim that he is doing nothing wrong.

Regards,

Debu