Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost reduction through SMT ?

Blog Entries

Default Cost reduction through SMT ?

Hi all

As avinash_g pointed in some other thread SMT components are a little cheaper that DIP counterparts , and soldering takes lesser time if done with hot air gun etc.

So any idea in DIP vs SMD circuit which will lead to cheaper kits.

DIP - easier to solder , single sided PCB with minimal jumpers keep PCB cost to minimal ( Rs 2 / sq inche ). Cheaper PCB manufacturers can handle the pcb fab.

SMT - Soldering i have no exp , but from online videos it looks like its faster using rework stations. PCB - Cheap fab units cannot handle. Also PCB's are Dual sided mostly ( Rs 6 - 8 / sq inch ). Dont know about RCL SMD components but chips are cheaper that DIP counterparts.

So if anyone has done production of same circuit in both could please enlighten.
    Vikas Patial

@vikas: SMT is as easy to solder as through hole! By hand using a regular soldering iron, even easier using a temp controlled Iron (I've got a Temp controlled Iron from MAX Gold for Rs. 450).

Regards,

Debu

Senior Member T-1000

You don't even need a HOT Air gun (Required if u wanna DE-SOLDER) a normal Iron can do ICs while chip components like (resistance,cap in 0805 package) are best done with a Micro Iron.

I have a ESD safe micro iron (temp controlled) which I have bought at Rs 260/-

So for ICs use a Normal Iron and For res/cap/tran use a micro iron with fine tip.

Don't ever think that ICs are soldered PIN by PIN !!!

Some flux and magic of surface tension does all the work! Though you need some practice.

I have hand soldered my first QFP chip successfully & till now I have not lost a single chip !

I think this link will be usful for u

http://supersolderingsecrets.com/index.php

But I use little different technique.
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Blog Entries

Im asking weather it would be cheaper to go the SMD way.

So will the same circuit cast lesser if done int SMT.

@avinah_g - All circuits are simple DIP circuits. No SMT as such.

So does it make sense to jump the bandwagon , And yes i aleady have everything required like the temperature controlled soldering station for hot air and normal soldering. So hardware is least of the issues ...

Im more interested is it cheaper and faster for kit level production.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

I've been through this so maybe I can answer better...

SMD component availability is a big hassle. DIP RCLs are easily available almost everywhere and often, in quantities much less than a 1000. SMDs will be sold only in multiples of 1000 and maybe even more. To complicate matters further, there are so many packages to use: 1210, 0805, 0603...

Secondly, placement is time consuming unless you have very few components.

Thirdly, not all technicians are good SMD solderers. Whereas DIP is easy for most. Also, reading the component values in SMD is an issue for them.

Fourthly, if the SMD component has more than a few pads, soldering them with an iron is a pain. And if you have more than a few boards, it'll strain you a lot.

Finally, since you are making products to be sold in the amateur market, it would make sense to use components which buyers could easily get on their own and solder without any special tools, if something blows up on their board. In which case, DIP would be a more sensible choice.

The choice is yours but my suggestion that DIP is a more practical choice for low volume products.

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    Im asking weather it would be cheaper to go the SMD way.

So will the same circuit cast lesser if done int SMT.

@avinah_g - All circuits are simple DIP circuits. No SMT as such.

So does it make sense to jump the bandwagon , And yes i aleady have everything required like the temperature controlled soldering station for hot air and normal soldering. So hardware is least of the issues ...

Im more interested is it cheaper and faster for kit level production.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Blog Entries

Thanx Mohit , this was the kind of answer i was looking for . So will stick with DIP .
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    Thanx Mohit , this was the kind of answer i was looking for . So will stick with DIP .
    Btw, if you wish and if they are simple, I can get these PCBs assembled soldered at my place for you. Say, about 20 components on each PCB and about 25 PCBs in one lot. Free of cost, if you can send the PCBs, components and solder over to me. Delhi to Agra, either way, isn't too much of a problem for any courier.

Blog Entries

Well....SMDs are for 1000s....
    Anything less will be a financial disaster, if you look at reducing costs.

Nice offer, Mohit, so good of you!! But Vikas is looking at solid bulk; probably you could help him on a long term mutually beneficial arrangement??
    It will be good for ARP & robotics in India......
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member T-1000

Hello,

Yes go for DIP , SMD won't make much difference in ur case.

But I don't agree with

SMD component availability is a big hassle. DIP RCLs are easily available almost everywhere and often, in quantities much less than a 1000. SMDs will be sold only in multiples of 1000 and maybe even more. To complicate matters further, there are so many packages to use: 1210, 0805, 0603...
    I have easily bought 100 nos of RCL components at good pricing. And 0805 is most popular package for hand soldering.

Fourthly, if the SMD component has more than a few pads, soldering them with an iron is a pain. And if you have more than a few boards, it'll strain you a lot.
    It is very easy to solder a even a 100 lead QFP very easily.
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by avinash_g
    It is very easy to solder a even a 100 lead QFP very easily.
    Do you mean "easy" with an iron? How many have you done? How long did it take to test if there where any solder bridges? Or did you just power up the board and hoped for the best?

Don't get me wrong, but its simply impractical to solder SMD by hand in 'real' life.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in