Thread: Magnetic switch

Default Magnetic switch

Hi! I got lot of trainsets which I want to control. I cannot add lot of circuitry into the engine of those trainsets. I was thinking of a miniature magnetic switch which can cut off power of the engine when it comes near the statio and makes it stop. Initial I thought that i can lay a iron sheet on track on station. Raising it will activate magnetic switch on engine when it passes over it and thus making engine stop. Lowering down plate would make engine run again. But i could not find miniature magnetic switch that can work like this. Any ideas on how to add a very miniature switch on my train. I wud prefer a simple mechanical switch as it can be very small.

Blog Entries

Magnetic switches don't work due to the speed of the train- by the time it acts, the train will overshoot due to inertia nad continue moving.
    Unless you put in a series of switches, but that will add to the problem.

Another way is to install a 1 transistor circuit to control a relay.

Yet another way could be an SCR.......
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Thanx docel!
    My pblm is that the swicth on engine needs to be minimal. A transistor, or SCR circuit + relay + sensor will make it too bulky to fit in small engine. This is the reason I am looking for miniature mechanical switch. The magnetic swicth (if its there), can work in following setup:
    - engine will have magnetic switch which turns off power supply to engine when an iron sheet comes near it. The switch is on the bottom side of engine and iron sheet will be on the rail. Near station a long iron sheet will be there on the rail, long enough to keep switch "off" so that engine stops on the platform. When the iron plat is moved away from rail, switch is turned "on" and train runs. I tried prototyping using a small disc type magnet but it was not sensitive enough to be attracted by iron plate.

Blog Entries

There are hundreds of ways this can be done.......
    Can you post a pic of your train? or describe its dimensions etc.,?
    If it is the classic collectors Train set, there's plenty of room.......
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Its LxBxH = 100x25x30mm , rail is non-metallic. I am targetting all types of model trainsets toys that come with a simple 1.5v motor.

Default use opto interrupt

try using an optointerrupt switch these optointerrupts found in any printer use an opaque paper sheet on loco and an optointerrupt on track......