Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ARP - Affordable USB Arduino/Freeduino based Boards

Blog Entries

Pffftt goes the AVR Atmega

They were EndOfLife and the hoarded stocks were in the market till now.
    The new Xmegas are on the way, in a few months - Faster , Low power, Low voltage, hi frequency.....

Atmegas8 was obsolete long back. Atmel sold its Fab units not due to the 'Financial' crunch or the 'recession'.
    They sold them , as did everyone else in all spheres of manufacturing, basically because of Technology jump. No one wants to invest in old technology anymore as there are newer and better Technologies and processes. A lot of these old products will be banned and prohibited from free trade from 2012 due to global material restrictions- so why invest in them ?

End of Life, Remaining shelf-Life, type discontinuation - these are the Industrial policies that all countries have agreed upon and signed the charters. These are decided in advance and come into effect every year automatically. The Industries must follow these norms or they wil not be able to sell them in through free trade practices, nor will the products that use such component units that are against the agreements. Look what happened to the Omni. All Bharath II vehicles are EOL products. Petrol and Diesel vehicles must satisfy the new Emission norms and base material constriants. This is not possible as it becomes un-viable to produce and sell. A lot of products will be thrown out from 2014 onwards, so no manufacturer wants to invest in these 'obsolete' products/components/material/processes any more.

The recession is just a way of shutting down the old technology that cannot exist with the new industrial norms. it is not easy to shut down a factory due to these reasons and so they find some funny means of doing so. the CEOs of these liquidating companies draw astronomical salaries , just to oversee the legal shutting down of a company without backfiring repercussions from the consumer / Govt/ Share holders.
    Last edited by docel; 08-06-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Hi,
    Atmega micros are no way near the end of life. Infact Atmel had replaced the atmega serries with atmegaXXA serries (may be a couple of months back). 8 bits micros are used in all tiny miny stuff and they are in despensible you cant simply put Xmega in stupid stuff like a toaster!!! the economics doesn't allow that,andtmel is not that big a fool , If Atmel has taken the step as described Atmel will become history!!! and Microchip will be happy to serve Atmel followers.

An analogy will help you get this better. There was a prediction that mainframes will become obselete and last mainframes will be switched off some time in 2010. Lo be hold mainframes is still going strong , why because so many people had invested so heaviely in mainframes (and cobol) that they just cant dump the old running codes and move to newer technologies!!!! Though newer application are being developed in newer technology but only if there is a benifit and where ever mainframes has advantage there mainframe is maintained.

Also that the case with 8051, they came way back in 1980 and was the industry back bone for decaded and yet they still are going strong as they are cheap , robust, multiple suppliers, millions of lines of code exists for them. sothe companies won't change them unless absolutely essential. The industry doesn't fancy new technology unless its cheap and reliable and risk free.

THATS THE LAW OF INERTIA FOR CORPORATES!!!!!!!

Asimov

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by docel View Post
    Atmegas8 was obsolete long back. Atmel sold its Fab units not due to the 'Financial' crunch or the 'recession'.
    They sold them , as did everyone else in all spheres of manufacturing, basically because of Technology jump. No one wants to invest in old technology anymore as there are newer and better Technologies and processes.
    Not entirely correct, Doc. Yes, some companies may find a convenient excuse to exit business during recession, but that's not the norm... Atmel was (maybe is) in deep shit, that was why there was a takeover bid by Microchip and OnSemi. It had to sell off its fabs because it was in loss (it still is, but seems to be doing better). It got into some non-core business (smart cards). So overall it was in a bad shape.

Regarding the matter of pursuing cutting edge technology, this interview with Microchip's CEO give a good insight on why they are doing so well:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ...936900566.html
    He says" Part of the secret is we're not on the bleeding edge of the process technology [which] is very expensive."
    It doesn't mean that Microchip products are out-of-date, but only that the processes they use for making those chips are maybe old.

Maybe this will also give some insight and rest fears of your beloved Atmel going of business:
    http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?n...topic&p=730938

Regards,
    Mohit.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

I think if somebody needs to adopt an entirely new microcontroller family, that microcontroller family should be TI's. At a glance the MSP430 series seems to be quite attractive. Only I don't know what the sales and support situation is in India.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

Entirely OT, but interesting read:
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconduct...ok-the-world/0
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

TI has introduced a $4.3 launchpad basic board with on board debugger. Though the micro is not really powerful. It is a good starter kit for beginners. I work with PIC's so by no means i am endorsing TI's products, but i am buying some of TI's board to experiment.

Hi all,
    I use 89v51 series by Philips and atmega series. I am also experimenting on ST microcontrollers they are not very cheap but still affordable and the development board is also un der 1000........I'm planning to get one.

http://www.st.com/mcu/
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Junior Member Newbie

Hey guys, you have the schematics of riduino? I'm from Brazil and it is very nice to have the schematics to replicate it here!

thks,
    alf.
    www.musa.cc
    www.alfakini.cc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfakini View Post
    Hey guys, you have the schematics of riduino? I'm from Brazil and it is very nice to have the schematics to replicate it here!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

Just pick from Arduino Uno , its nothing but Riduino with newer chips .
    Vikas Patial