Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ARP - Affordable USB Arduino/Freeduino based Boards

Junior Member Newbie

Ahm, ok. But Arduino Uno uses ATmega8U2, that has an internal usb-to-ttl serial converter. Riduino uses an ATmega8L (I think it's like atmega8), that don't have this internal converter. The ATmega8U2 is harder to found here in my region. Riduino is an interesting option to test and use. The project is just a mixing of the avrcdc project (http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/) and Arduino? If it is, i will try to test this option.

thks.

Blog Entries

Yep it is a mix of both AVRCDC and Arduino, But Atmega8 has been phased out . Also Atmega8U2 has USB 2.0 support and hence i recommend you go with it. Atmega8 is not easy to get now,also it has problems at high speeds.
    BTW if you wish to go cheaper you can use Microchip's USB to UART which is a dollar cheaper than Atmega8U2 and supports full speed UARTS . Look for part number MCP2200 . It < $2 at lower quantities, almost half the price of ft232 series, and directly available from microchip.
    Vikas Patial

Hi Vikas,
    R these chips (MCP2200) available in India? One can buy them from microchip directly but any online shop or any shop in LMR?

Asimov

Blog Entries

I actually have stopped going to LMR , It simply takes too much time and does not make sense for me.

I simply order from online vendors both Indian and Foreign. Have had good exp with all. For ex Microchip delivering in 3 days from Thailand and charging duties beforehand.

For professionals a day wasted in LMR is not really worth the few bucks saved.
    Vikas Patial

I wonder if its possible to use VUSB for Attiny85 to make it act as a usb to serial converter. Attiny85 are way cheaper than atmegas.