Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robotics Business Ideas

Member User
    Blog Entries

Default Robotics Business Ideas

People often are skeptical about building good business with robotics especially in India - lets prove them wrong here shall we?

I think robots will do great business in the following fields:

1. Entertainment
    2. Medical
    3. Elderly Care (in the west and far east)
    4. Automobiles (beyond industrial arms and manufacturing)
    5. Defense
    6. Small Industries

Good. So whats the plan ?

Blog Entries

Educational robotics is good money in india . People making a lot by fooling students .

Well other wise industrial also is nice.

Good money can be made in this field.
    Vikas Patial

Blog Entries

Unless the robots are "really" affordable, I rule out any household robotics applications in India.

As far as industrial robotics are concerned, India is already using assembly line robotics in automobile manufacturing and a little in medical field.

Defense robotics has a long way to go as most of the stuff our millitary, navy and airforce use are second hand used stuff that have been discarded by other countries.

So, bottomline, make them affordable and they will have a market. But then how affordable can you make them without tradiong-off accuracy, reliability and overall efficiency?

Rao

Member User
    Blog Entries

I don't think household robotics will have much of a scope in India. If the robots are there for security then perhaps there is a wee bit chance

I think entertainment + surveillance could be a good combo - say a robot teddy bear for children which can perform remote surveillance - many working parents might want that to connect to the robot from their office network and monitor their kids at home from time to time

In the education front - there is a HUGE scope - many companies ARE doing a good job in training students but I think slowly the educational institutes themselves will offer professional courses. Plus there are a good deal of open communities working on edu robots - like www.LEGOEngineering.com
    @vikas -- why do u think people are fooling students?

Costs can also be reduced by good design and yes not all applications require a state of the art robot with ALL functions. A robot with plug in structure would do well

Blog Entries

Well

Ive seen the courses and content , Anyone with some little time can go online and educate them self and not need to do 99% courses on offer right now.

Also its a premium industry right now , Most people selling stuff at a premium. Things will change soon though .

Regards
    Vikas Patial

Hi all,
    I think most of the institutes take advantage of robotics as a new & different course.They take advantage of people as they have less knowledge about technology & robotics in india(not all).They take advantage as these courses help in your career.They cost alot for kits & teaching.Many people do it as i said above for cv's and certificates(experience).

These guys attract school students starting from 6th to 12th.The kids get easily fooled because they don't have any previous experience.I've from my eyes seen that for attracting students they have some sample bots ready which attracts them as its new.Eg. line follower,video recognizer,racing bots.They never tell what all required for this.They say this will help you learn physics.I have always noticed kids are always in basic robot building courses because these attract students & they take advantage.I have never seen any school kid in advance courses as the interest vaishes because of difficult or someother reason.Only some of students are actually interested & want to continue it to advance course.I have never seen students taking part in advance courses.They genrally get bored.Some times the parents also force as there child is not doing anything like music,dance etc.

Apart from this they don't even teach well.Most of the times i have the concepts are not clear.They know what is a capacitor but they don't know how to use it in a circuit.Is it to be attached serially or parallely.The way they teach is i don't like.All the info is on net they don't teach anything new or newly.Thats the reason i dont take courses like these.The only thing is that if i study something in 2 days ,they'll study it in 1 hour.

I dont know much about college guys.May be they do this because they have this as they're subjects or they want to take part it the techfests etc.
    Only some people do it because of actual interest in robotics.But still college guys are less charger for the same cousre as of school kids.

Reagrds Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Blog Entries

Nice one akshay
    Vikas Patial

Member User
    Blog Entries

@Akshay - That was a really nice and clear insight.

However, the knowledge of robotics IS very shallow in our country, especially in the educational domain. In the manufacturing sector, people are quite adept in the technologies, but they are not the cutting edge.

This is one reason perhaps why we are seeing low quality education - simply because its new and unknown and people who teach are themselves learning. This scenario was present in Computer Science too in the 1980 - 1990s where India was actually struggling between programming and computer science (which I personally feel we still are!)

Anyway - we need to give time to this and work side by side with other national and international organizations - using the power of the internet - there are many open courseware (including Intro to Robotics by Prof. Oussama Khatib of Stanford) and we should try to cultivate them

We will definitely see workshops and conferences in Robotics improving in terms of quality and frequency in the years to come. In fact I was quite pleased to see RoboCup being introduced in IIT this year - that indeed is a step forward!

Cheers

Thank You!!
    Redefine it your way!!!!