Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robotics Business Ideas

Well its not my idea, but its a good one, and is being introduced at various places around the world,

For Medical, Orebro University Sweden, have been working on a robotic doll, with sensors to measure body temperature, heart rate and communicate with a local computer wirelessly. This is great in hospitals with kids, they dont even know their nurse is the playtoy.

For automobiles, the introduction of electronic vehicles is great timing. Check this out: www.enicycle.com. Its a hybrid of balancing robot and electric unicycle.

Well in some IT offices they are using line follower based, suppl bots, to distribute drinks, paper and other stationary.

The possibiliteis are endless, post in more ideas.

Isnt this a talk just about money anyways ?

If you have the money, then you can start making these robots. Why would people not buy them if they are good for the price.

Now, making something good for a good price is something. And that something can be done probably only by Reliance and Tata.

No one will say the idea is bad. So I am unclear what the OP expected to hear from us. If he has the money then we can take things further.

Blog Entries

I would have to disagree with that...

Coming to the consumers, who are the vast majority of the buyers in India? Middle class people. So naturally they are the main target.

Now let me give you a scenario... We develop a cheap roomba, even after a lot of cutbacks and keeping seller profit to a minimum, we some how bring it down to Rs. 2,500 with all features. Now, if an average maid comes to broom, mop the floors, wash the utensils and do other small jobs around the house for 500-800/- a month(I might be saying less as I havent checked the rates recently ).

How do you convince a target group of buyers that your product is worth the money they invested and will do the job(, if not better ) than the maid on the floors? I understand that all technologies are initially frowned upon e.g. cell phones, windows XP ( ) .

We have to either come up with dirt cheap prices, or convince the buyer that this will save them time (which I believe is the most important aspect of household robotics). Both of which require huge research and good money.

As far as reliance and tata are concerned, if they would have seen any money in household robotics , they would have been already making the most out of it.

Rao

P.S. a broom and a mop cost a total of Rs 40 (does the job) and a cleaning session takes 30 mins a day. I am talking that cheap......

Blog Entries

wow this thread really makes me sound like a pessimist, sorry about that, I am just trying to check my version of reality with others. I welcome arguments sans flames.

Rao

Depends on what you call a robot.

Washing machines and dishwashers are robots. and there is good market for it and people are doing good in that business hopefully.

But when I called the discussion a talk on financing, I was thinking more the kind of robots useful in defense and medical fields.

Now to be in that field, its really a game of money not will or skeptism.

Good one Rao. I was laughing, when reading ur reply. :lol:

Yes you are right. Your words reflect very indian mind thinking. We have small pockets and an even less purse to fit in all our budgets.

I am not saying about everyone, but most. After all the good things a device can do, it finally comes back to a cheaper alternative, even if it is not better in quality.

Well one thing i can think of is, to give a limited edition of robots for free to customers, and after they fire their maid and start using our roomba and get used to it for some time, then start charging them. This might never work though. If the customer misses our gadget and cant bear the noisy complaining maid, he will pay up. Just a thought.

PS: To all the business people and entrepreneur please don't bite me.

Blog Entries

Or make a fool of the indian buyer .

Charge cheap for initial robot ... no profit no loss. Then charge for AMC like Aquagaurd etc do . The basic system is cheap but people keep renewing AMC's which is where money is.

Also AMC's is what most indian IT companies are running on.
    Vikas Patial