View Poll Results: Is Lego still the best engineered robotic kit ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 33.33%
  • No

3 50.00%
  • What is Lego ??

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEGO works !!!! and It works wonders

Default LEGO works !!!! and It works wonders

Swedish hacker Hans Andersson is no stranger to puzzle-solving robots. His prior work, A Rubik’s cube-solving robot called Tilted Twister, made waves through the internet last year. This new robot, built around the LEGO Mindstorms NXT system, “reads” a printed sudoku page, solves the puzzle, then fills out the solution right on the same page, confidently and in ink. It’s a well-rounded project that brings together an unexpected image scanner, image processing algorithms, and precise motor control, all using standard NXT elements.

Bravo!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp8Y2...layer_embedded

Blog Entries

Ive seen better and more powerful kits .

But its a nice kit with it VPL and easy to assemble robots.
    Vikas Patial

Default gr8!!

wow !!
    pls.. everyone if you have came across anything better and versatile than Lego .. do post the name of those kits ..
    ... actually would love to have them

it was nice but i hate lego.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Blog Entries

Well there are many say Bioloid to start with.

But Mindstorms is till out of reach a average Indian at Rs 12000 for the basic kit.
    Vikas Patial

Hi all,
    Apart from that i feel much better making bots using non lego material.Its really cost effective.More than that i don't like its programming too(blocks).The structure is also not so strong,Plastic blocks can't be compared with PVC sheets or metal.Another problem is that if you have made a robot & want to keep it you cant.The parts go waste & if you open the robot then you have to build it again if you want to show it to some one.In other words,You can't keep two robots at a time.

Some things that i like about lego are you have an option for gears,USB interface with PC,Motors & wheels.But these feature are not new for kit costing <10000.

Regards Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!

@akshay66: I own a Mindstorm NXT (see here (clickie) ). Consider this: I don't have the time, patience or energy to build a robot in the traditional way. With the kit I can build beautiful and extremely complex robots with very little actual building effort and time. The NXT brick (the CPU) is extremely powerful, it consists of an ARM processor with 16mb ram and 16mb flash, with an added AVR (ATMEGA2560) as an IO controller. The greatest advantage is that apart from NXT-G (the visual blocks based language), you can use bricC (C with object oriented behaviour), NXJ (Java, yes the Mindstorm OS has a JVM!), ADA and many other languages (including ARM assembly); Now add with this the added flexibility of LabVIEW (yes, the Mindstorm OS Software is bassed on LabVIEW). Also the sensors and motors that ship with the kit are by far the highest quality I have ever seen available anywhere (for hobby use). Also, if you so require; there are various add-ons like cameras (for on-board Image Processing) and 3rd party sensors available too.

Anyways, I got to say; Once you use a mindstorm, most other robotic platforms will seem bland.

Regards,

Debu

I have used lego(mindstroms & nxt).I didn't have the feeling as you had.Maybe you like but i don't.I took part in Indian Robotics Olympiad 2007 & got 3rd position that was the last day i touched a lego kit.I prefer Non-Lego.What i felt after using lego was that you can't actually learn electronics if you use lego.

Reagrds Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Just for info .. check out this competition sponsored by Google, NI, Lego, X PRIZE Foundation, Wired’s GeekDad

http://www.moonbots.org/

@Vikas .. Thanks for Bioloid.. it came few years back from Robotis ( a Korean company ) using the concept of modularity and is a good package with all electro-mechanical stuff in a single block.. though it is bit expensive but it has the advance features.. probably one can not develop any simple mechanism with it as it is more structure oriented.

@debu .. I too agree with you. Lego has unlimited scope and with the largest community online for the latest developments it has become more powerful. You can also try solving something which is being done in all sort of advance robotics with Lego NXT...probably you can develop many new AI algorithms ..
    The biggest advantage with Lego i find is the development and prototyping of new mechanisms.... developing something new in no time is the matter we should always think of... instead of putting extra effort in doing something from scratch .. which has been done many years ago.. (reinventing wheel is never a good idea .. but modifying it and making it better is always..) if you are good at innovating mechanism .. you will love Lego..
    Of course ...Lego has many limitations like the learning of electronics is little challenging but at the same time it takes off the headache of stabilizing any electronics circuit and people can put more time and effort in programming and construction.

As far as price is concerned, of course it is expensive.. but now a days i see students can afford a mobile phone of 10k then why NOT Lego or some new robotic kit.. just a thought..

There are few other robotic kits like Vex which are GOOD... How about iPitara ??
    I feel robotic kit can be selected based on the priority of the user what he/she wants to really learn from it.

Hi all,
    I agree with you all.Cost in not a big concern.Lego kits can be used for experimantation but definately as a final product.Tell me if you a working on new robot that hasn't been made ever and you finally make one.So how would you like to present it on a lego kit or on non lego.I would prefer non-lego.Think again.The joy i get by making robots in traditional way can't be compared with lego.

Regards Akshay,
    Redefine it your way!!!!