Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap programmers for RoboShop @ Ri ...

Blog Entries

Default Cheap programmers for RoboShop @ Ri ...

Im also planning to sell programmers on the site -

They will be USB programmers ...

So what do you think is better b/w the two

AVR-Doper ( Robokits sells for 700 ... too expensive)
    USBAsp ( Avinash G sells for about Rs 350 )

so b/w the two which one do you like more and why ?

Also what about Pic any recommendations for a programmer that i should build to sell .

And same for x51 , though AVR-Doper/USBASP I think can handle 89SXX Series ( Note tested ) .

Should Zif sockets be provided ? They add to cost or IS connectors are enough.
    Vikas Patial

In the case of programmers, the only thing probably anyone needs is the PCB and perhaps the pre-programmed chip in it.

On the PIC side, Junebug is an excellent programmer + development board.
    So would be SO NICE to be able to buy a Junebug PCB alone in India. Though you might want to check with that guy (Bill of www.blueroomelectronics.com).

But probably any PIC Kit 2 or PICKit 3 clone would do.

P.S : I already have programmers so dont take my words as those of a perspective customer :-)

i would suggest combine both PICKIT2 clone and USBasp into one.
    Target ie. AVR/PIC should be selectable using a jumper.

All you need is a pic18f2550. It is pretty cheap if sourced directly from microchip but am not sure about your targeted price range.

Circuit for pickit2 is available online in itz user-guide and software is open-sourced too (not sure about the latest version though).
    As for the USBasp if interested i can help you with porting the code to pic.
    Infact i already have some portions of USBasp working pic18f4455 (cousin of 18f2550).

cheers !!!

@wizardjack: I've been trying to make a universal programmer for a long time (using a 4550), pretty much the same as you .

Problem with what you said is that; PICkit2 is not open source, infact I have not seen anything but HEX files for it anywhere. There is the PIC-Brenner (clickie) which is open source, but it is full of bugs, and the driver doesn't work with vista. So, I'm making my own based on Microchip's Programming Protocol. The silver lining is, that all microchip parts use the same protocol (but at different voltages) so, potentially if I can get one to work, then I should be able to get them all to work (PIC24s, 33s etc.).

Regards,

Debu

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by debu
    Problem with what you said is that; PICkit2 is not open source, infact I have not seen anything but HEX files for it anywhere.
    You probably haven't looked at the right place then.

PICkit 2 page at Microchip website:
    http://tinyurl.com/aul7t

And this leads to:
    http://tinyurl.com/2yadg9
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Thankx mohit.

@debu:
    Microchip hasn't released the latest firmware version sources. Maybe thatz because they want to avoid the direct competition with folks making cheap clones.
    Anyway my line of thinking was that if you replicate the pickit2 circuit diagram (there are some not so easily available components) then all you need to do is follow these steps :
    1. Burn the latest pickit2 hex on it.
    2. Burn the USBasp code into the free space.
    3.. Use a way to branch from bootloader into USBasp or PICKIT2 code usng a jumper.
    For branching you can try something that PIC Tiny bootloader does ie. overwrite the 1st instruction to jump to your location and then jump back to RESET vector + 0x04 (for the inital jump) to join the main code flow.

All this is possible with some hex file trickery using existing PICKIT2.

@mohit: Thanks. Surprisingly, it was on the Microchip forums that I was told that the PICkit source is not open. Funny isn't it.

@wizardjack: I agree, alternatively one could use sections of the pic kit code and generate entirely fresh code which includes the USBasp programming instructions.

Regards,

Debu

@debu :
    you may be right in the sense that released source code is not open-source per se but may be free to be used only for Microchip products.

Blog Entries

But didnt USB ASP run on AVR and PIC run on Pic ?

asimov_18 has directed me to a 89sXX / AVR programmer which he has changed from USB ASP so i just need to add pic to it and it almost handles all three .
    Vikas Patial

Nice to hear ideas about new and universal programmers that too in India.

Still, if the goal of roboshop is proliferation, I hope it doesn't wait till these programmers finalize. Better to start delivering what exists in the world already but not easily available in India.