Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a motor lift on its own

Default making a motor lift on its own

Well the topic may sound silly
    What i was doing was to try and make a light motor to lift on its own just like a rc helicopter.

Can it be done?? Can a motor have a favourable weight to power ratio??

I tried it on a motor with a rotor made of cardboard but it failed horribly

Surely there would be such motors else there would be no rc helicopters.

The other most important factor besides weight is of course the propelor design. A cardboard thing will never fly.

What rotor design should be used for the purpose?? And what material??

I seem to have a motor which is not rated but seems to have considerable rpm

it's weight is also fine

Any suggestions??

Blog Entries

A motor cannot 'take-off' on its own. Newtons III law will make the motor spin in the opposite direction. Also, the Gyroscopic precession will make the horizontal motor vertical
    The body of aircraft and Helis are designed to stabilise ( overcome these effects)) and assist lift in 1 direction only.

The weight of the motor has nothing to do with lift.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

@docel
    Thanks for the input
    I was looking for something like this
    I had a feeling that the body must also be aerodynamically apt

But I also thought that even the most simplistic structure generate lift

I am reminded of very simple toys in which a rotor rotates and it goes up for a while. How do we explain them???

Senior Member T-1000

Praneet,
    If you are really want to do something like a heli, the easiest way is to make a quadcopter. There are a few good projects out there.[ x-ufo, aeroquad, quadpowered]
    These forums are good:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/multi-rotor-...3b2dc3df7ae253

search for "quadcopter"

The way these work is by using brushless motors which is very well suited for such an application. Since the motors do not have a brush like a dc motor, they have very less wear and can attain much higher speeds.

However, there is some cost involved. The way brushless motors are handled is very different from dc motors. But if you are interested in one, the heli forum would be your first place to start.

Here is a video, just to illustrate it to you:[watch 1:50 onwards]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI5po3O3Mi8

@ice
    Thanks a lot for the links
    But considering my level of knowledge in this field, i wanted to start from basics and hence try and understand how a simple motor and rotor duo can be used to generate some amount of lift and then proceed with the helicopter

Nonetheless I will browse the links provided

Also, Do you have any experience in making such a thing?? Or any one else has some exp.??

Also its just for learning purpose and has no associated time limit. So i dont want to spend much money unless i have something concrete on my hands

Senior Member T-1000

Also, Do you have any experience in making such a thing?? Or any one else has some exp.??
    I'm making one. It's a long term project, so it's going to take some time. I'm still researching stuff.

Also its just for learning purpose and has no associated time limit. So i dont want to spend much money unless i have something concrete on my hands
    ..which is good. I chose it since it was possible for me. Took quiet a while for me to decide.

It's a bit tough if you do not have much experience. But keep reading. Take it up if you think you can pull it off and have the necessary budget.

I just bought a chinese helicopter for the body
    With everything on, it weighs 300 gm

I thing by removing the non essentials, the weight can e reduced to 15o0gm without the motor

As far as the battery is concerned, i plan to use an adaptor presently and if successful, then go for battery

Would the helicopter be able to lift by a normal dc motor??

Senior Member T-1000

Try CD ROM motors. They are brushless and I guess also easily available.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...er&btnG=Search

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/heli_project/