Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening up a new Robotics club at my institute

Now to bring the thread back to topic, I will try to answer the topic to the best of my capability.

1. Raising funds.

- The institute must fund it. If it doesnt and you have to raise funds yourself, may I suggest you consider opening a business instead ? or a club outside of the institute so that it remains your baby forever and gets the care it deserves.

2. Workshop-- if we teach everyone everything, then how willl the clb survive next year??
    - There will be new batch next year I guess.

3. How to attract more and more students to become members.
    - Have an exhibition. Showcase your robots. Give a certificate people would like show in job interviews. And if nothing works, have girls hand out membership forms ;-)

4. How to send teams in different institutes in the name of TRAIC.
    - Whats the problem here. Call the hosting institute, apply, make travel arrangements and go. The teams will have to do the major work not the whole club. The club will help where the team specifically asks for help. The team should take the drivers seat for going to competitions.

5. How to teach students.... ......
    - Forget teaching and focus on building. Teaching will get taken care of automatically, as students will study themselves to build the darn thing. Instead think of arranging equipment and parts the club will need.

Senior Member Android

@ pkshima
    Thanks a lot for a very apt reply i had been looking for a very long time.

1.Raising the funds
    The institute has agreed to open up the club on the first condition that we shall be self financed.
    coming on the club front... neither the insti nor the alumni is too supportive.
    You said about opening an own business or a club outside the insti.... please enlighten a little on the topic.
    For the travel arrangements and the facilities for the club we need money...Money is the only problem that i am facing right now.
    secondly is there any way we could associate with some company?

waiting eagerly for ur reply.[/quote]

Well if the institute is not funding it then I dont see how it has the authority to allow/disallow you. It is just playing too safe. Funding is the main part. If I had to fund my idea myself then I would do it under my own name and give my shot at being the next Bill Gates.

Anyways, some of the ideas that come to mind to solve the funding issues are ....

1) Search for similar topics in this forum and find out people who have talked of spending money. Off the top of mu head I recall "electronica" showing interest in opening a business. People who have money usually dont have the time/energy to pursue their robotics dreams themselves. And thats what your club can do for them.

2) Have ideas that dont need funding Sounds stupid but thats what is going to be India's innovation. Robotics at a budget.

3) You can have a membership fees. This will also make people serious about the club.

Actually a lot depends on your city. In a large city like Delhi it will be a immediate success if a robot club starts that has labs and equipment. Some people here did talk about it for a while but ran out of gas very quickly.

Another way to start would be listing exactly the things you want to achieve from the club or want the club to achieve. Then we can work backwards to see how much if any funding is required. It will also give hints on where that money can come from.

i think the prime objective now for you must be to build robots for college contest and win and win big.People always would follow/join ones that have succeeded.

Your club is a new one.first you along with your friends who are genuinely interested start building stuff and win .. As more people come to know of it they will join and it goes on

The fund would be primarily from the winnings (its easy to get 20K wins in a contest now a days)though you initially have to spend for stuff.You must be at more concerned about the quantity and not quantity. As your club quality becomes more famous quantity will eventually pick up

So start builiding stuff .... win ... advertise and your club will grow eventually.Dont expect things to happen in a day or single win.. it takes time and you will eventually reach the goal

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_01 View Post
    hi all
    my institute has finally established the Robotics Club . We have named it as The Robotics And Innovation Club.
    I need your suggestions for following problems/improvements:
    1. Raising funds.
    2. Workshop-- if we teach everyone everything, then how willl the clb survive next year??
    3. How to attract more and more students to become members.
    4. How to send teams in different institutes in the name of TRAIC.
    5. How to teach students.... ......

all suggestions are welcomed

First of all congrats.U will surely enjoy the diverse field of Robotics.
    1-Any club is primarily concerned with funds.here the role of institute is important.U can organise various events and can ask institute to finance it.Also members should give registration fees at regular interval(which will be decided by u) and this money can also be utilised by u people.
    2-few members attend workshop and teach other member.Club members shud be divivded in groups and each group will be headed by group head.Give them projects which shud be completed in specific time.This way members will learn lot by their own.
    3-Organise events with attractive prize money.
    4-Keep track of events in other college.Often there is no restriction on entry of other college.Register ur institue team and participate.
    I will like to add one more point regarding purchase of goods which will be required by ur club.Regular availabilty of essential parts and modules will play a big role in success of ur club.Regarding this u can contact at following email id-singh.saurabh12345@gmail.com.

Senior Member Android

ok i know i am replying to this post after a long time...i just wanted to clear about theprofit term...it was all for to buy new parts as we are self funded...sorry fpr being rude to anyone..the club started off very well..... we competed and won many competitions including iit roorkee and almost all of uttarakhand...and then made a contri as for club's budget...everything we had...we gave it for free...even modules and everything, we lent it to students to learn and then buy on their on and we successfully competed in robocon with all the money generated for 3 years...
    we dont teach what we know.... i and my team started a new concept...of learning yourself...

we assigned mentors and a group of student under the mentor...and they were shown the way by the mentors...hence we didint just give away what we knew...but taught people to discover what they can do....
    Why am i replying...because after som much of FLAMing done on pg1(including myself) i thought i should share my experience...

And one more thing...we made 90% circuits on our own..through our indegineous hard work and team spirit...
    Thank you everyone for your comments^^
    There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything.

Junior Member Newbie
    Blog Entries

hi to all...

am willing to start a robotics lab...

I need your suggestions for following problems/improvements:
    1. Raising funds.
    2. Workshop-- if we teach everyone everything that we know, then how willl the clb survive next year??
    3. How to attract more and more students to become member.
    4.how to reach the market...
    5.how to focus on tieup with companies...

Junior Member User

Congrats you have really done a splendid job. have you any website for your club, You could use social media like FB to make it popular.

Junior Member User

Hmm, there is no response from side, I think if I would get the website link I try to advertise the link........