Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quadrotor

Default quadrotor

I am planning to build a UAV based on the quadrotor platform.I am planning to use the 8 channel RF remote controller provided by TRI technosolutions and towards its receiver side(which will be on the UAV) the PIC18F4431 microcontroller will be connected so as to control the speed of the motors using PWM.for the stabilization purpose i am using two dual-axis accelerometers ADXL213 and one gyroscope ADXRS613
    One of the main aims of this project is obstacle avoidance for which we are planning to use ultrasonic sensors provided by TRI
    I need to know whether there are any flaws in the this sequence of implementation and I also need to know whether this can be worked out??

Hi,
    If you are going for Ultrasonic to approximate the distance, there are many things effecting accurate readings... Area of the obstacle, speed of your UAV etc.

From what i remember, if the obstacle from which the distance is being measured or your UAV is fast,during motion i recorded increasing values( not the actual reading), after it has stopped or slowed down considerably, i got the correct reading again. So look out for it.

Do you have any other suggestions for the sensors apart from ultrasonic ones??

As far as i know... they are the only option, or you will have to go for vision based obstacle avoidance, which is again complex and uses real time DIP processor, if you are making everything on-board.

If your project had been indoor, you could use IR range finders, but if they are used outdoor, can be affected by sun and other objects.

My suggestion is try with Ultrasonic but keep your speed of UAV to minimum and area of obstacle large. Good Luck.

By reading out the implementation of various aspects of the project do you think the project is practical and can be worked out??

Actually i have taken the columbia universities project as my references but since they have carried out the project in 2007 the components they have used is no more available.......thats y i palnning to use new components but there is one problem ....... i have got free samples of accelerometers as well as gyrosopes from analog devices but the thing is that they have send me SMD devices so in order to use them in my project i need the evaluation-board for the gyroscope which are still under production .the accelerometer is ADXL213 and the gyroscope is ADXRS613..........
    Do you know from where can get the evaluation board of the gyroscope in india??

Yes the project is practical and can be worked out, but it is hard for anyone to tell, if everything will workout well. .

You may be hundred percent accurate in theory, but when it comes to practical, you should have lot of field experience. Quadrotor are more stable than other aerial platforms, so the risk is low, but still there is risk.

Even i ordered for the samples, but failed trying to get the SMD components soldered. Try placing a thread in the Buy and Sell, you might get help from other members.

Hey, i am only telling from what i have learnt from my bad experiences. There are guys out there, who can tell their success stories. So ask them as well. Good Luck.

Default Re: quadrotor

Quote Originally Posted by NthDegree
    I am planning to build a UAV based on the quadrotor platform.I am planning to use the 8 channel RF remote controller provided by TRI technosolutions and towards its receiver side(which will be on the UAV) the PIC18F4431 microcontroller will be connected so as to control the speed of the motors using PWM.for the stabilization purpose i am using two dual-axis accelerometers ADXL213 and one gyroscope ADXRS613
    One of the main aims of this project is obstacle avoidance for which we are planning to use ultrasonic sensors provided by TRI
    I need to know whether there are any flaws in the this sequence of implementation and I also need to know whether this can be worked out??
    what do you use to program it

Does anybody know how to transmit live video??
    I am planning to incorporate a video camera on to my quadrotor........

Just buy a wireless video camera, but make sure it doesn't interfere with your transmitter and receiver used to control the flight of UAV.