Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A very Good Site.

Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    One of my friends paid flat 50 % of income in taxes ... We dont pay anything close to that.
    I seriously hope you didn't expect social security for free. You obviously need to pay more taxes for it. In India, you do pay heavy taxes but get nothing comparable in return.

you cant just sit at home doing ur own business and saying that your unemployed.
    No country will let you do that i.e. do business on govt money. We were talking about contributing back for free remember ?

95% college students waste time, they are free for 5 months every semester then mug up for last. They can contribute ... I know i did. We can keep cribbing but we all know the fault lies with us.
    If you are worried about those 95%, then God bless you and God save India from contributions from those people. I am only worried about the rest 5% (actually just 1%) who know their stuff but are getting eaten up in their jobs. Either we need a model where they dont go starving or we keep cribbing.

If there were only free software in the world and no Microsoft, I bet the industry wouldn't last long, and then there would be no software as well.
    No matter how ugly, there needs to be food chain in the end.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkshima View Post
    I seriously hope you didn't expect social security for free. You obviously need to pay more taxes for it. In India, you do pay heavy taxes but get nothing comparable in return.
    I am sorry, we don't comparably pay heavy taxes, we just get paid a lot less compared to what we are worth, thanks to over-population leading to high competition and Awesome labor laws, no fixed minimum wages and other assorted reasons.

No country will let you do that i.e. do business on govt money. We were talking about contributing back for free remember ?
    India is one of the few countries in the world who always cry about "contributing for free". We like to take free contributions from around the internet and like to sell them with "minor modifications" without giving ample credit. Our software companies copy contributed modules found on the internet, copy them and sell them as proprietary software. We make big claims about open source and still are barely open source friendly. Just look at the PHP market in India, a faster platform rejected because companies make more money suggesting slow ASP based systems.

If you are worried about those 95%, then God bless you and God save India from contributions from those people. I am only worried about the rest 5% (actually just 1%) who know their stuff but are getting eaten up in their jobs. Either we need a model where they dont go starving or we keep cribbing.
    Our culture, where our education is paid by parents, where we live with our parents atleast till we get jobs makes sure we dont starve. I personally know a lot of 16 yr old American kids from well off families who work double shifts and go to school so that they can feed themselves because their parents decided to "not pay". So I dont agree with you on this too.

The 1% you talk about is you. Not everyone who knows their stuff is getting eaten up. Initially, all the contributors here were students, unfortunately, the trend line has changed now.

Finally, lets look at where this topic started from. Lets Make Robots has a ton of over-the-weekend hobby projects, most of them use the same sensors, wheels, motors.. cheap stuff basically. They just shared the fun they had, not thinking of things like..."how do I make the invested money back??", "ooh I am going to starve if I put this stuff online". They just "shared" it. Not something that people are willing to do here. 10,000+ members, and none of them has the time to "share" something new they found out or did over the weekend. Those who crib about lack of time need to learn "time management". I don't find any claims of not finding an hour a day for your hobby/passion valid.

Ohh and no one is against making money. Heck, we want to make money as much as the other man does, but sharing pictures and notes of something that I made for 800 bucks within 2 hours doesnt exactly kill me.

Rao

Senior Member T-1000

great post Vikas

I have also contacted some of my European friends for more accurate info on the subject.

I will post it latter,
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

Rao,

a simple question.

why dont you do what you suggest others?

I mean have you shared your weekend project?
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Blog Entries

Ohh believe me, I have shared a lot here. I am working on projects which are not exactly over the weekend but I will share them once I have finished them.

dudes is this a saas bahu serial or something no offence intended, but i thought this was a robotics site

No this is just India.
    We like to to bother ourselves more with what rest of India should be doing than ourselves.
    The definition of contribution for us is : abuse blatant advertisers and feel proud.

Blog Entries

No this is just India.
    We like to to bother ourselves more with what rest of India should be doing than ourselves.
    The definition of contribution for us is : abuse blatant advertisers and feel proud.
    Haha.. didn't think you would take a forum post personally. Didn't intend on hurting your feelings.

As far as contributions are concerned, I don't need to prove anything to you.
    Also, abusing blatant advertisers is known as "moderation".

Kinda sad that asking for contributions from others on a community run site brings me flak.

Rao

I am watching the thread.

@Vikas: Suggestion for you: Change format of RI. Make it only for "Contribution". No gossips plz.

@avinash_g: Instead of you asking Rao to post his projects, you post your knowledge in RI. I have seen only links from you going to your site.

@rao: You are the "clean" person. Keep up your work.

@vikas & @rao: It looks you have paid for the current version of CMS (vBulletine). As I know its not free. Why do you ppl spend when there are lots of free CMS available? How do you make money to cover the hosting and other expenditures? You are real contributors to the society.

Blog Entries

@Everyone - I and Rao have been running this site since 2k4 24x7 we dont need to prove anything. When everything works smoothly people dont notice .

And yes we are running a paid VBulletin license @ 300 USD and about 120 USD hosting bills. Why use paid CMS , Its better and more secure ... phpBB got me hacked so much , joomla and drupal were a pain to get anything professional out of. To tell you the truth i rather spend money than spend time.

As for contributions for robotics our board is on http://www.freeduino.org/about.html , which i think speaks for itself , how many others can say this.
    Vikas Patial