Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: A very Good Site.

  1. #11
    Senior Member Cyborg pkshima's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    One of my friends paid flat 50 % of income in taxes ... We dont pay anything close to that.
    I seriously hope you didn't expect social security for free. You obviously need to pay more taxes for it. In India, you do pay heavy taxes but get nothing comparable in return.

    Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    you cant just sit at home doing ur own business and saying that your unemployed.
    No country will let you do that i.e. do business on govt money. We were talking about contributing back for free remember ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    95% college students waste time, they are free for 5 months every semester then mug up for last. They can contribute ... I know i did. We can keep cribbing but we all know the fault lies with us.
    If you are worried about those 95%, then God bless you and God save India from contributions from those people. I am only worried about the rest 5% (actually just 1%) who know their stuff but are getting eaten up in their jobs. Either we need a model where they dont go starving or we keep cribbing.

    If there were only free software in the world and no Microsoft, I bet the industry wouldn't last long, and then there would be no software as well.
    No matter how ugly, there needs to be food chain in the end.

  2. #12
    Administrator T-1000 rao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    833
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkshima View Post
    I seriously hope you didn't expect social security for free. You obviously need to pay more taxes for it. In India, you do pay heavy taxes but get nothing comparable in return.
    I am sorry, we don't comparably pay heavy taxes, we just get paid a lot less compared to what we are worth, thanks to over-population leading to high competition and Awesome labor laws, no fixed minimum wages and other assorted reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by pkshima View Post
    No country will let you do that i.e. do business on govt money. We were talking about contributing back for free remember ?
    India is one of the few countries in the world who always cry about "contributing for free". We like to take free contributions from around the internet and like to sell them with "minor modifications" without giving ample credit. Our software companies copy contributed modules found on the internet, copy them and sell them as proprietary software. We make big claims about open source and still are barely open source friendly. Just look at the PHP market in India, a faster platform rejected because companies make more money suggesting slow ASP based systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by pkshima View Post
    If you are worried about those 95%, then God bless you and God save India from contributions from those people. I am only worried about the rest 5% (actually just 1%) who know their stuff but are getting eaten up in their jobs. Either we need a model where they dont go starving or we keep cribbing.
    Our culture, where our education is paid by parents, where we live with our parents atleast till we get jobs makes sure we dont starve. I personally know a lot of 16 yr old American kids from well off families who work double shifts and go to school so that they can feed themselves because their parents decided to "not pay". So I dont agree with you on this too.

    The 1% you talk about is you. Not everyone who knows their stuff is getting eaten up. Initially, all the contributors here were students, unfortunately, the trend line has changed now.

    Finally, lets look at where this topic started from. Lets Make Robots has a ton of over-the-weekend hobby projects, most of them use the same sensors, wheels, motors.. cheap stuff basically. They just shared the fun they had, not thinking of things like..."how do I make the invested money back??", "ooh I am going to starve if I put this stuff online". They just "shared" it. Not something that people are willing to do here. 10,000+ members, and none of them has the time to "share" something new they found out or did over the weekend. Those who crib about lack of time need to learn "time management". I don't find any claims of not finding an hour a day for your hobby/passion valid.

    Ohh and no one is against making money. Heck, we want to make money as much as the other man does, but sharing pictures and notes of something that I made for 800 bucks within 2 hours doesnt exactly kill me.

    Rao

  3. #13
    Senior Member T-1000
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jamshedpur/Bhubaneswar
    Posts
    421

    Default

    great post Vikas

    I have also contacted some of my European friends for more accurate info on the subject.

    I will post it latter,
    Avinash Gupta
    ************
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

  4. #14
    Senior Member T-1000
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jamshedpur/Bhubaneswar
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Rao,

    a simple question.

    why dont you do what you suggest others?

    I mean have you shared your weekend project?
    Avinash Gupta
    ************
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

  5. #15
    Administrator T-1000 rao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    833
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ohh believe me, I have shared a lot here. I am working on projects which are not exactly over the weekend but I will share them once I have finished them.

  6. #16

    Default

    dudes is this a saas bahu serial or something no offence intended, but i thought this was a robotics site

  7. #17
    Senior Member Cyborg pkshima's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    174

    Default

    No this is just India.
    We like to to bother ourselves more with what rest of India should be doing than ourselves.
    The definition of contribution for us is : abuse blatant advertisers and feel proud.

  8. #18
    Administrator T-1000 rao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    833
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkshima View Post
    No this is just India.
    We like to to bother ourselves more with what rest of India should be doing than ourselves.
    The definition of contribution for us is : abuse blatant advertisers and feel proud.
    Haha.. didn't think you would take a forum post personally. Didn't intend on hurting your feelings.

    As far as contributions are concerned, I don't need to prove anything to you.
    Also, abusing blatant advertisers is known as "moderation".

    Kinda sad that asking for contributions from others on a community run site brings me flak.

    Rao

  9. #19

    Default

    I am watching the thread.

    @Vikas: Suggestion for you: Change format of RI. Make it only for "Contribution". No gossips plz.

    @avinash_g: Instead of you asking Rao to post his projects, you post your knowledge in RI. I have seen only links from you going to your site.

    @rao: You are the "clean" person. Keep up your work.

    @vikas & @rao: It looks you have paid for the current version of CMS (vBulletine). As I know its not free. Why do you ppl spend when there are lots of free CMS available? How do you make money to cover the hosting and other expenditures? You are real contributors to the society.

  10. #20
    Administrator T-1000 vikas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    1,922
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    @Everyone - I and Rao have been running this site since 2k4 24x7 we dont need to prove anything. When everything works smoothly people dont notice .

    And yes we are running a paid VBulletin license @ 300 USD and about 120 USD hosting bills. Why use paid CMS , Its better and more secure ... phpBB got me hacked so much , joomla and drupal were a pain to get anything professional out of. To tell you the truth i rather spend money than spend time.

    As for contributions for robotics our board is on http://www.freeduino.org/about.html , which i think speaks for itself , how many others can say this.
    Vikas Patial

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •