Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flawed Solar Powerd Rickshaw @ Govt of India

Blog Entries

Cool Flawed Solar Powerd Rickshaw @ Govt of India

Here are some details

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...s-off-road.php
    http://www.pluggd.in/soleckshaw-sola...nnovation-297/

The minute i saw it made me laugh , some one tried to fit a lead acid+motor to a old rickshaw .... the looking into more details ... it was our great Scientists . No wonder the result.

Anyhow ideas that could have been -

1. Solar panel roof , they call it solar rickshaw but i dont see one solar cells.
    2. Dump lead acid ... go with LithIon/something better ( why not ... lighter yet powerful )
    3. Regenerative braking
    4. Light weight body , they just fit motors in a standard rickshaw.
    5. Maybe take advice @ Google Search
    6. Hire real Innovators !!!

What do you guys think ....
    Last edited by vikas; 04-23-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Vikas Patial

@Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR): Here is some free advice.

-Dump the BLDC, and go for AC Synchronous motors. (Less current, Higher toques, better efficiency, smoother electronic control).
    -Avoid using friction braking. Go for EM braking, with a circuit to harness the reverse energy. Engage the friction only for the last stages of the braking.
    -Aluminum, Titanium and Carbon composites. I know they are expensive, but the whole world is using them in their green vehicles.
    -LED Lighting along with some good optics for the headlights, and minus the optics for the tail lights.
    -Get rid of the GaAs solar cells (stop thinking cheap), use Nanocrystalline Si solar cells (65% efficiency) like every other solar powered vehicle.
    -Lead Acid battery? Really?? Polymer is the only way to go, you don't need fast charging, Solar cells don't deliver the power in any case.
    -Re engineer the frame of the rickshaw to move the passengers to the front, and the driver back. Pushing is better then pulling. (or didn't you get the memo, when most vehicles became rear wheel drives?).

Regards,

Debu

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

It might be the cost factor.

I think there might have been serious pressure on the designers to cut down the cost, so that the govt dont have to shell out much. But the result went bad, and all the research cost is wasted now. Or if you are an optimist guy unlike me, you might say they learnt at least how NOT to make a solar vehicle.

Yes, i agree on polymer, But I would have preferred the BLDC. With the polymer, you need a good charger, which again increases the cost(+maintenance), and that might have been a reason to dump it. The more the circuit or complications, the more faulty it becomes, since they are run by people who is not that tech savy.

Its funny that they had to spend about 15 lakhs to research this vehicle.

Forget titanium composites. The cost difference is huge. The money they generate with the ride will not meet the research cost+the vehicle cost. It would have been worth if for an electric car, but not for a rickshaw.
    I cant understand why a solar vehicle cannot charge from 230V. They can plug it at night.

Yes,agree 100% with vikas on his last point. well, that was the best point made.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Senior Member Cyborg

pathetic design, i agree with allbits there would have been pressure on designers but still they could have more efficiant design.
    But we all had noticed or not it also got assitance from pedalling so 15 L could have spend on it.

AND same question where is solar power ?
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

My two cents:

Solar panels must be at home charging second set of battery!!

These Scientists are tide by Govt norms of purchasing, which includes tenders, payment after 90 days of followup and bank guarantee. They plan the project, and get the raw material after 15 months of delay by the time technology changes so fast that they still have used Lead Acid Batteries and flaot a tender for Polymer batteries which they will get next year and by that time Fuel cells will be common !!!

All and all it is "workable" solution with low cost.
    8051, AVR, PIC Development Boards & Programmers and much more starts from Rs. 10 onwards @ www.deccanrobots.com

Senior Member Android

LOL at everyone involved in making prehistoric modes of transport. At a time when Rickshaws are being taken off the streets of Delhi, the government finds yet another smart way to waste our money. But I don't expect anything more out of "Senior Scientists" who have been clamping on to their positions/seats since the 70s.

Agree with you all.I think we all will just start a new discussion about the SYSTEM.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

I agree with nivedita, i have seen it happening at my office. Infact i was stuck in such a situation as well.

Blog Entries

AS said before Lowest bidder concept sux , it is whats followed in Govt. Also is the concept of trying to involve PSU's for everything.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

I will say its a different source of energy. Almost all world we are doing enegy conversion lie in petrol power vehicle we are burning it to get mechanical power , same with gasoline engine. Electrical enegy to heat for boiling the water.
    You may change the source of power to get the required work done.
    BUT the only thing that matters is Efficiency.

And We the engineers are there to build the system which have maximum efficiency and for that only engineers are required.
    So its efficiency that matters and not the means of conversion
    Taking efficiency as a comparision factor will be real proof for prooving such sysy=tem