Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Water Level Indicator

Lightbulb Advanced Water Level Indicator

Hello everybody !

Do you have 'overhead tank' at your home , and have to check it every morning to see how full it is ? Well, I do. Being sick of this daily routine I'll be upgrading my analog water level indicator( WLI) into a digital one which will show me the water level 2 floors below in my room.

Now the point is, how is the transducer module up at the tank supposed to communicate with the display module down below?

Really need your suggestions and views over this ...

Thanks

Senior Member Cyborg

simple problem is expressed in very complicated manner

Just ask what you need form your post we need to scratch our head for what excatly you need.

OK, don't try to build it your self there are industry standard sensors with display are available (4-20mA) . go for it
    and interlock with your uC for automation

A wired communication between your sensor and your display screen will be cheap and easy to implement.

Go for a wireless connection if you do not want wires running around your house. But you will have to devise a good power supply which runs off 240V mains for the sensor module(else you will still have to go up to the tank everyday to change the batteries of the sensor module!) .
    Last edited by pratheek; 05-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

Senior Member Android

Can you tell the model and build of your pump so that I can look it up to get an idea.

@LOLman: I wont be using any Pumps... actually have'nt thought of automating it. Right now I just want to see the water level in the Tank.

@Ulhas: I dont want buy any devices from the market for this. Cuz WLI on its own will turn out to be a nice project on its own.

@Pratheek : Yes Wired com. was what I first thought, but considering 4 or more water level marks and the length of the wires required plus the attenuation the signal will face I am thinking of wireless one. But here too am not sure about its ability to transmit properly through so many walls.
    And yes I want to keep the system as cheap as possible. I have known 433Mhz TxRx pair http://onlinetps.com/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=454. But am not sure if they'll work here.

So what do you all say?
    Last edited by MGear; 05-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.

2 floors roughly equals 20 feet, add to that another 5 feet of the tank and you get total height of 25 feet. The commonly available ASK RF Tx Rx should be able to transmit for distances that are more than that, when the transmitter is powered at 12V and when proper antennas are used.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components

All right,
    But how am I supposed to power the Tx at 12v ? Lead Acid battery ? Solar Panel ( I have one with 6V 300mA rating ) ? Or by stepping up voltage from a low voltage source ?

Most ASK 433Mhz transmitters work between a wide range of input voltage of 3 - 12 V.
    So you can use them even at 6V, but you will be getting a less range.
    Probots

Blog Entries

Best is to keep it wired, Not high tech but fault proof and no batteries required.

Just put two wires with power and do power line communication over them for reading sensor data and displaying it below.
    Vikas Patial

I have worked on with wireless comm. but power-line comm. is new to me. Can you find me a tutorial which can explain how to implement it?
    And how much voltage would I need to send signals over 30ft twisted pair wire?