Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR IN 67 ZX-IRM 38kHz IR receiver

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Not quite. The module still responds to some extent to sunlight, incandescent light bulbs, etc. It's why I usually shield my modules with opaque material.
    If that is the case, then the module you have is exactly what you are looking for !! It must be less stringent, and non -standard.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Quote Originally Posted by docel View Post
    [B][COLOR=Blue]Your quest for a non-professional component is quite preposterous indeed. Do you expect any manufacturer to make anything that is 'non-standard' or ' less stringent' as you put it ?
    Non-standard is not the same as non-professional. Non-standard here simply means something that does not conform to the most widely used specifications. Manufacturers do make those - like screws with a counter-clockwise thread, to name just one example.

CW threads probably account for at least 99.999999% of all screws used in the world, and a lot of people may be unaware that CCW screws exist. But they do exist and they serve a very useful purpose.

Other examples are pots with reverse-log taper, 56kHz IRMs, products where a 555 is not used as a timer...... The list is endless.

Its up to you now, to decide whether you're a Scholar or an Artist !
    You've got me pegged backwards. A scholar learns and accepts what others have done. An artist strives to create something, often exploring unconventional methods. (BTW, I am an amateur artist, musician (used to have a rock band), photographer (I'm in the process of writing a book on photography), and I still occasionally play football, TT, badminton and basketball )

I've worked with a lot of Indian engineers. Their most glaring shortcoming is an inability to look beyond convention and common practice.

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

I've worked with a lot of Indian engineers. Their most glaring shortcoming is an inability to look beyond convention and common practice.
    Not true.
    May be the people who you have worked with were the conventional.

As for your query, it will be a good idea to buy the module and see. But when I look at it, Rs.176 for an IRM is a bit too costly.
    There is not link for any datasheet, so I will suggest you request the guy for a datasheet (I understand fro your post that you have not done it yet.), if not buy it.
    And if you have a specific application where you need to detect a modulated wave, use 567. (Just get out of the conventional IR modules !! )

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

well.. to add on:
    I could not find the product at the Inex site :http://www.inexglobal.com/products.php?type=addon
    I think they no longer manufacture them.

but i found it here:
    http://www.robotshop.ca/inex-38khz-i...eceiver-4.html
    and at a couple of other sites. They use a vishay sensor, and I think it will only detect bursts. Well, Rs 176 looks cheaper compared to the prices in USD.

Thanks for your continued interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by allbits View Post
    Not true.
    May be the people who you have worked with were the conventional.
    OK. Let's drop that side of the discussion for the time being, shall we?

As for your query, it will be a good idea to buy the module and see. But when I look at it, Rs.176 for an IRM is a bit too costly.
    Yes, it's certainly too costly for a standard IRM. If it had happened to be an unconventional one that met my requirement, I was willing to pay the price. And that's the whole point of this thread. But it's apparently just another TSOP mounted in a box with a connector.
    There is not link for any datasheet, so I will suggest you request the guy for a datasheet (I understand fro your post that you have not done it yet.), if not buy it.
    And if you have a specific application where you need to detect a modulated wave, use 567. (Just get out of the conventional IR modules !! )
    Ah, but whatever approach I use to modulate and demodulate a signal, I'm committed to sending it by IR beam. So, in order to achieve a fast reaction speed, designing and building my own IR receiver seems unavoidable.

The best reaction time I could get with my previous design was about 1.5 msec. I've thought of a way to get this down to about 0.7 msec with what's still a fairly simple circuit at the Rx side, using a conventional IRM. Some digital tweaking at the Tx side can get it down to 0.4 or 0.5 msec. This is acceptable, but I'd like to be able to at least halve that figure while using a readymade receiver module.

Blog Entries

So, in order to achieve a fast reaction speed, designing and building my own IR receiver seems unavoidable.
    That's when you'll become an Artist
    I think what you need is a simple high current pulsed IR LED and Photo-diode receiver that is managed by some slick software.
    There are other components and techniques too, for the speeds that you're talking about.
    Anyway, we don't know anything about your application and suggesting alternatives will simply result in long and irrelevant posts of arguments and hitherto undisclosed necessities or discrepancies.

I don't see the need for those reaction times in a general application. In which case cost & complexity shouldn't matter at all.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com