Thread: Difference between RIduino and Arduino?

Default Difference between RIduino and Arduino?

Hey i have been searching this over RI but could not find much details over the specifications for Riduino USB version. Could some one post the data and spec sheet?

Also please tell the differences between Riduino and Arduino.. software, hardware etc..
    Thank you.

Arduino is an open source and open hardware product. The circuit, board designs, etc are all freely available to anyone and anyone can use them to build their own and even market them. But the name, Arduino, is a trademark of the owners and cannot be used by others without permission.

Freeduino is the name for Arduino compatible boards. Freeduino, unlike Arduino, is not exclusive to its owners, it is free to use by anyone. They are usually compatible with all Arudino shields and the Arduino software.

RIduino is a Freeduino.
    Last edited by pratheek; 07-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

So Pratheek, what i understand is RIduino is similar in working and hardware to Arduino duemilanove. Am i right?

Yes, the RIduino and the Arduino Duemilanove are similar in function and features, though they use a slightly different approach in implementing them. The Duemilanove us the FT232 for USB to Serial conversion while the RIduino uses a Atmega8 for USB to serial conversion. But that shouldn't make any big difference.

There are a few differences though. Duemilanove comes with the Atmega168 or the Atmega328 whereas RIduino comes with the Atmega8.

The Duemilanove comes with a USB power protection fuse and a power source detector circuit on board. I do not know if RIduino has these features.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

Blog Entries

RIduino is simply an ATmega8 Arduino with a built-in USB to serial interface.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

Riduino is basically a cheaper Arduino which is DIP and single sided. While a 32kb Atmega 328 Arduino costs Rs 1500 + , Riduino 32 goes for about Rs 600 + .
    Vikas Patial