Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long range colour sensor

Default long range colour sensor

hello there,
    i am in search for colour sensors that have the maximum possible range of detection of colours. whats the maximum range a colour sensor can sense the colour..? could you give me some links or possible names of them to buy.?
    thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Use a camera ...
    Vikas Patial

Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    Use a camera ...

yeah but how will it work fast..? i need to identify the the color quick too in least possible time. wouldnt a camera take time ?

Blog Entries

High speed Cameras can capture a Bullet in motion ... your application requires higher speed ?
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

A cheapo colour sensor could be made out of photosensors/LDRs and glass filters of the colour of your interest. Place a colour filter over a sensor to get a colour channel pair. The photosensor responds only to the light of the colour of its filter. Of course, the response curve depends on how good or bad your filters are.

In fact, this is how digital cameras work. Do a search on "Bayer filter". The wikipedia article is good.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

what speeds are we looking at??
    What range are we looking at??
    Whats the size of the object we are looking at??

your definition of maximum possible range could be 100m, mine could be 10m, somebody elses could be 1Km.
    It will save a lot of time for you and people at RI if you can give more details.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Quote Originally Posted by allbits View Post
    what speeds are we looking at??
    What range are we looking at??
    Whats the size of the object we are looking at??

your definition of maximum possible range could be 100m, mine could be 10m, somebody elses could be 1Km.
    It will save a lot of time for you and people at RI if you can give more details.

now thats good point you asked. the range is 1 to 1.2 m . primarily i have to distiguish between black and white colours..the sensor is not stationary,it will be on the bot.

High speed Cameras can capture a Bullet in motion ... your application requires higher speed ?
    not as high speed as the bullet. i wish to put the sensor/camera on the bot ,hence it wouldnt be stationary.

Blog Entries

Just use a directed infrared transmission , white will reflect ( ull have signal ) , black will not ... Will be very and very simple.

Is it for a competition then post a link , might suggest a better approach.
    Vikas Patial

Just use a directed infrared transmission , white will reflect ( ull have signal ) , black will not ... Will be very and very simple.

Is it for a competition then post a link , might suggest a better approach.
    ok this seems good. so how about this plan now, i can have one transmitter on the bot which transmits directed IR ray, the ray get reflected when the objected with white or black is found and the recvr which is also to be placed on the bot detects it and accordingly the signal is processed by the micro-processor. but i think there has to be some angle or else the reflected IR ray would coincide with the transmitting one..?