Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick Slip Actuators

Blog Entries

Yes!
    What people ignore or fail to understand:
    The wall climber involves sticking force that is in the direction away from gravity. You cannot rely on gravity at all.
    It is upto you to provide all the forces for this effort. The total forces and their directions are up against gravity + horizontal towards the wall + Newtons 3rd Law.
    Any effort to "push" against the wall ( eg. the leg ) will also push the body AWAY from the wall. Therefore , the force needed to keep the body sticking to the wall alone should be greater than twice the weight of the machine.

Before even thinking of methods, one must work out all the Force vectors in several dimensions / axes and their scalar equivalents - a matter of simple high-school Physics.

A review of Force, Energy & Motion is a must!!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member Android

For beginners, I would suggest for you to use more legs. Have you ever worked with a quadruped on ground?, its anyways tough to make it walk.

If you are trying to mimic nature then mimic the majority. What I am trying to say is, insects are way more efficient at this (without the need of tails) as the points of contact to the surface are way more (thats only one of the reason though).

Use atleast six legs, even the gait will be easier. The weight will definitely increase but when the force is spread evenly throughout the body unlike in the case of 4 legs, you will have more stability.

Also, completely agreeing with others, forget solar power, that's for emergency lights and calculators for now. In any case you wont be able to afford the "better" ones and the cheap ones wont be able to make it walk on ground let alone vertical walls and inclines.

We do not require an active power source i.e. we can wait for the solar cell to build sufficient power before it implements the next step.The speed of the robot is not important too.

What i wanted to say was, i don't care if my robot takes 1 whole day to cover a glass of dimension say 2mX 2m....
    Let the solar panel charge the battery enough to provide a few pulses to the slip stick actuator( its a piezoelectric actuator BTW
    which will be enough for the robot to move a few inches.
    The battery will die now, no biggie, let it charge again, it will then cover a few inches.
    The point is once we have installed the robot, we don't want it to continuously move on the glass and clean it every hour, let it take a day!

Solar panel will be a costly affair, but how much money are we talking about? If we remove the solar element then there is nothing new about this Robot, for $10 you can get Climbatron which walks on glass with two legs!There is a myriad of research papers + you tube videos on glass climbing robot but none on solar operated climbing Bot.

I know this whole idea might fail but whats the harm in trying, without having a solid proof it wont work.
    Last edited by Ashu175181; 07-28-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashu175181 View Post
    We do not require an active power source i.e. we can wait for the solar cell to build sufficient power before it implements the next step.The speed of the robot is not important too.

What i wanted to say was, i don't care if my robot takes 1 whole day to cover a glass of dimension say 2mX 2m....
    Let the solar panel charge the battery enough to provide a few pulses to the slip stick actuator( its a piezoelectric actuator BTW
    which will be enough for the robot to move a few inches.
    The battery will die now, no biggie, let it charge again, it will then cover a few inches.
    The point is once we have installed the robot, we don't want it to continuously move on the glass and clean it every hour, let it take a day!

Solar panel will be a costly affair, but how much money are we talking about? If we remove the solar element then there is nothing new about this Robot, for $10 you can get Climbatron which walks on glass with two legs!There is a myriad of research papers + you tube videos on glass climbing robot but none on solar operated climbing Bot.

I know this whole idea might fail but whats the harm in trying, without having a solid proof it wont work.
    Well well Well.... I KNEW this was a cheap gimmick Project with NO practical or technical use - other than cheap publicity !!!

The Worlds first solar Wall Climber !!!

Just another fraud in the name of Engineering !!!

Shame.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

I never covered it up from the beginning. I said in my previous post that i am not concerned with the practical utility.
    As an undergraduate who is exploring the realms of Robotics all i cared was the knowledge i ll gain from this project. This idea struck me, and i wanted to work upon it.I never wanted to patent my bot or anything.
    Thats why i came here cause people who are much experienced and enlightened with this art will hear me.

I don't know if i made it sound like i am gunna make 'Worlds first solar bot', all i wanted to say was the information on this particular topic is scarce.

Already in India where in events like ROBOWARS a wooden board fitted with a motor driving 4 wheels qualifies as a Robot, being a little creative will not hurt, considering the entries in the same event organized by ASME or MIT are incomparable to ours.
    Not because they have better facilities but only by their sheer creativity.

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

SO this IS a BTech Project.

Thats a good Idea!! If your project is all about solar panel, buy the climbatron and fix the solar panel into it. !

Have a few questions to the OP,

Do you plan to actually demonstrate
    a) your robot climbing on the glass?
    b) your robot cleaning it?
    c) Your robot running on Solar?

do you actually want to demonstrate all of them, or some of the above??
    or do you want to submit the work as a paper/report as a part of your project?

If your critical point is about robot running on Solar, you need to learn a LOT on solar panels.
    eg .. : how much power you can derive from a square inch of panel - crystalline or amorphous.. In that way you can calculate how much TIME your panel will take to charge your battery, and then it also means you need to know how to charge a battery.
    You need light weight batteries, probably Li chemistry, and you cannot charge them like that with a Solar panel..

Please do basic math on power required/power derived from the solar, and that will help you understand the core points of the replies you already got in the thread.
    I do not mean to discourage, but if you seriously want to demonstrate all three points I asked you, make sure your pants have deep pockets, and that you have at least a year before your presentation, if you plan t do it yourself, as you got to learn a lot, a real lot to have an indigenous design of this kind running on vertical glass surface.

ps: I get irritated when students say 'there is nothing new in a robot if 'this thing' is not there. I have also seen them ending up with doing nothing new, noting creative. Students should look at themselves and understand how much they know about a topic before they start designing a project. Understanding ones strength helps a lot, if not, they will end up using somebody else's brain and time.
    Last edited by allbits; 07-28-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Smile

As things have turned i am currently worrying only about how it will move on a glass using solar energy.
    And fortunately i do have a year to complete it, and yes i plan to demonstrate it and also write a research paper.
    But the cleaning part, that really looks tough as for now!

So following your advice i ll spend my time learning about solar Cells as much as i can first.
    And yes sir from my past post i sound just the kind of student who says ''there is nothing new in a robot if 'this thing' is not there."
    But i assure you i am doing this not because this is unique or something ,or it will get me better marks, but only cause i want to.

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

make a couple of 200mA motors run with solar cells.
    Come back after that.

But, you still have not answered my questions :P:P
    .... I didnt do it ! ....