Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Mistakes by beginners

Senior Member T-1000

Strangely, nobody is mentioning 'Robocop'. Loved that movie. Still watch the reruns... But this is getting OT, sorry.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

The most basic mistake mistake is that they forget basics.
    Not using motor drivers instead 2 way joysticks.
    Not using quality tools(cheap irons and wires).
    Using cheap toy motors.
    Not planning the robot.
    I'll add on..........
    Redefine it your way!!!!

And yes mohit robocop........I used to watch when i was small.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Senior Member Android

I would like to make a quick point, rather a suggestion:

All beginners, whenever you are on a technical website, or reading a tutorial and you come across a term that you dont know, instead of jumping to conclusions and deducing a meaning, google for that term.
    type the term itself or "What is " the term in google and follow each link on the first page till you are dead sure of what that term is. At times, this will lead to a nested scenario, i.e., while looking for the meaning
    for a certain term, you will come across another term that you dont know, dont give up, write those terms down and google for each of them.

Forums are for helping people but it doesnt mean that other members will do the basic job of googling and explaining glossary for you. The most important aspect that a beginner has to work upon is the will to learn.
    People at any technical forum will only help you when you get stuck at something that you werent able to find a way out of, because its challenging for the member too. But if you go around asking about something
    which is provided at the first link of a basic google search, you will definitely be ignored.

And hey, knowing a few cool terms always add to the geek coolness factor, doesnt it?

Hi all,
    I wish to add a few more points to the list
    3) Asking the question which micro controller to beging with 8051/AVR/PIC? ( many a times this results is a bellgrant debate on this forum as every one has his/her favourite controller!!!!)
    4) Not planning the code on paper first and begning to write the code in one go!!!! Yes draw a flow chart or a pseudo code has to be written(especially when one is a beginer)!!!!
    5) Not documenting the code(and forgetting after a month what it was meant to do)/not drawing circuit diagram/or taking pictures. This helps in a stubble way (at least it did to me as it helps me orghanize better)

Blog Entries

My professor once told me, the main reason why a trained average engineer would have more success rate compared to an untrained genius in our field is the ability to document. So I whole heartedly agree with asimov's last point. Documentation is one of the key points to success.

HI All,
    Just point the mistake is not a solution and we have to give some remidies as well!!!!
    Since many people have limited knowledge related to electronics the following URL is good fopr getting online tutorials from the best of the institutes(ofcorse what could it be other than IITs)

http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses.php

These are online material nicely presented , hope people like it.

Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by shashak View Post
    Believing toy making is THE cutting edge in robotics.
    Just running after workshops for certification with IIT labels
    Believeing lessons from experts are only way of doing things and not experimenting out of legue
    Not using Breadboards for trouble shooting.
    Thinking textbook concepts will work out of the box.
    ha ha .... shashank u surely seem to have attended one of the TRI workshops.....havent you....??? their standars are falling....

Quote Originally Posted by akshay66 View Post
    And yes mohit robocop........I used to watch when i was small.
    he he dude......"wen u were small....." han so ure all grown up now haan

Senior Member Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by Coolpratheesh View Post
    ha ha .... shashank u surely seem to have attended one of the TRI workshops.....havent you....??? their standars are falling....
    nopes i never attended any of robotics workshop or class by anyone. I had browse there course material though.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.