Thread: Which linux distro for robot?

Default Which linux distro for robot?

Hey Guys!

I've been working on a high end robot in my spare time for a while now. So far I've been using Windows CE 6.0 as the OS on my ARM9 platform, but due to some reasons (more on that here (clickie)), I'm planning to move my code to Linux. Now, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go for: OpenEmbedded or Qtopia (I think it's called QTextended now). I compiled both from source this weekend and have been playing around and can't decide which to pick, personally I find Qtopia is better documented but OE has a bigger fan base. I figured I'd ask the community what their opinion is.

Regards,

Debu

Blog Entries

Im a OE fan, never liked QT as not a GUI person.

I usually strip the system off XWindows(everything GUI ) all together to increase speed , as most robots do not really need a GUI.

Both look good to me though. QT based would be better if you wanted to build GUI for touch screen , cause GTK is a Pain to work with.

Why not use C++ for GPIO on WinCE . i love C# too , C and C++ make me work too much for simple tasks.
    Vikas Patial

@vikas: I've located a distro of OE with Qtopia on X. Going to try and build it this weekend, I love how much community support OE has! The problem with C# is that the I/O is extremely slow. I'm getting 30Khz IO on a 500MHz system, my OV9650 camera module gives 1 - 0.75 fps, without any algorithm (extra Image processing, I'm using a Bayesian color tracking). I'm using a GUI for setting end user parameters in my system. Unfortunately, like you I find GTK is too much work, QT makes life almost as simple as C# but has all the advantages of C++.

Regards,

Debu
    Last edited by debu; 05-19-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Spellings. =P

Senior Member Cyborg

"ROS, Willow Garage's software platform, stands for two things: Robot Operating System, a loose analogy to a computer operating system, and Robot Open Source. It is completely open source (BSD) and free for others to use, change and commercialize upon "
    http://www.willowgarage.com/pages/software/ros-platform
    Vivek
    --
    " To get working ideas effectively, I try to fail as fast as I can. "
    Richard Feynman
    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlawTD_9B0