Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody experienced with PCB plotters/millers

Blog Entries

production is a very boring thing (atleast for me)
    You are right - It IS !
    Not till you are in the middle of a Production team will you realise the pain it is to get work done. Outsourced Job work is the easiest and it is better to take that route unless you are an experienced hardcore human resource manager. Managing a Production crew of 10 people is a nightmare.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member T-1000

@Vikas
    You are in Delhi, You have several local manufactures their. I don't have any PCB Fabricator NOR assembly lines here. My one product requires outsourcing to at-least two companies. One for PCB Fabrication and other for assembly. They are in two far apart part of the Country (one in North and Other in south part while components are sources from West i.e. Mumbai). And I am in North part of India.

But in your case you can get everything from Delhi Only! So things are much faster for you. I think investing in these production thing is NOT a wise decision.

In few more year we have go Fully SMT. A quality PCB requires very high tech machinery. Think even an Ardiuno, you may be aware of the PCB quality and TOP notch production techniques.

1. Drilling - CNC
    2. Platting - Control (60 mil)
    3. Masking - PISM
    4. Finish - SMOBC with HAL
    5. Outer cutting - CNC router
    6. Testing - BBT

You can never own all those machinery unless you ready to spend millions! All those high tech things are imported and are very high priced. And the most important fact they become Obsolete in less than 3 years!

Remember how often you need to buy a Mobile phone or a new PC to keep up with trend?

PCB technology is fast changing

Also don't overlook the process of "Testing" PCBs during manufacture. It save dollars if the error is caught before assembly. Earlier I didn't got tested PCBs so have to throw many assembled boards. In double layer PCBs AOI and BBT is must. So you have to buy those machines too!
    Last edited by avinash_g; 08-31-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Cool

All, depends on what kind of board are we looking at, and at what volume.

I dont think Vikas was looking at mass production at home, it was all about prototyping. These machines are ideal for colleges where the students can mill a PCB at the college itself. They will not be working on cutting edge or Fast boards, and will be mostly single sided. So, the investment is justified. No one, will buy these for mass production.

But there are times when you need a board ASAP. Testing on a dot board is cumbersome. In the last 5 years, I was forced into Ironing the print to a copper clad, and discarding the board, losing the time in process. May be more than a hundred times. These are the times you wish you had a machine. If I had a machine, things would have a lot different. Docel might partially agree to me in this, (remembering this Jan ).

These machines are not for the 'production guys', but good for the designers. Who design from scratch. You go through a lot of designs, correct it and come back, do the process over and over again. Thats how you come up with a good product. These machines help like anything, in that process. It saves a lot of time - Not in the production, in the design process.

Like - I wish I have that machine today NOW. I hardly have time to get the PCB done, but I need to deliver the prototype day after. So I will end up using pieces of old boards, if i cant get the date extended.

I still believe in these machines if you can afford it, and if you DESIGN about 20 - 30 boards in a year. But the first one in my wish list will be the sherline bench mill.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Blog Entries

Hi guys thanks for advice here is why i want it -

This is for a Govt lab where i consult , we do a lot of H/w prototype dev and things which we have inhouse move very fast, floating tenders/dealing with vendors for PCB and h/w is not 3 days, sometimes takes a months for a simple PCB/CNC'ed cabinet.

If i can get a good system for say 5 - 7 lahks it would be great. See we waste a lot of time due to bureaucracy. Also general purpose PCB's and FeCl3 are a pain,does not really give results we want and require extensive debugging.

For ex -
    This weekend i did a Custom Graphical USB LCD for a system due to some size constraints, it took me 3 days for something which should have taken like 3 - 5 hours. Fecl3 based PCB wasted 4 - 6 hours / revision ( due to problems three versions had to be made ) . Also the system was a set of 3 PCB's the other PCBs i did on a Vero Board which had a loose external crystal oscillator ( again 3 - 4 hours down the drain tracking the issue ) . In the end it took almost 3 days to get it right. If i had one such machine i would be done on Friday.

I also found this link
    http://www.accuratecnc.com/ Seems highly accurate.

But is anyone selling such stuff in India ? also if someone has a solution to my problem which is better than getting a plotter please do enlighten me.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by allbits View Post
    But the first one in my wish list will be the sherline bench mill.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    I also found this link http://www.accuratecnc.com/ Seems highly accurate.
    come on guys show some mercy on people like me when you point to so much tempting tools !!! I want it I want it I want it !!! :'( :'(

For ASAP boards it is best and/if can afford 70K, anyways I had learn screen printing for ASAP situation, quality is little better than paper transfer but lot of mess initially. But still same question, for smd will it suit (without green mask)?
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I guess when the RI store comes up there could be a pcb fabrication facility for people ordering stuff!!!!

Asimov

Blog Entries

Thx guys i have narrowed it down to AccurateCNC 362

Here is a sample double sided board which was done by someone using the machine -

Let me see if i convince my superiors to buy it ...
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

seems like a beautiful piece of machine!!

How deep does it burn the pocket?
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Senior Member Android

@allbits: I am pretty sure it would leave us mortals pantless.