Thread: RIduino sale?

Default RIduino sale?

Hi guys,

Could someone please tell me the status of RIduino sale? Do you send delivery's to Southern India? Andhra Pradesh? Tamil Nadu?

Same question plus the current status of ATmega 8 availability in Delhi and Price.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Senior Member T-1000

Now ATmega8 is Costing more than FT232RL ICs.

Vikas Thought to make it cheap by Using a ATmega8 with USB CDC Profile driver in place of FT232RL (Used in Original Arduinos). But bad luck before the RIduinos could see the sun ATmega8 become a rare commodity. I informed this situation first to the community and alerted Vikas, but at that time no one understood the fact.
    Avinash Gupta
    www.eXtremeElectronics.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

I don't know if Vikas had made some PCBs for RIduinos or NOT. But he will learn an Important fact

Cost of Components + Cost of PCB + Cost of Assembly + Profit is NOT equal to Cost of Product.

But He also need to add the cost of Waste RIduino PCBs (At least 100 units and the time needed to design) too to the total cost !
    Avinash Gupta

Senior Member T-1000

If you need it fast go for this

http://www.embeddedmarket.com/produc...-Freeduino-DU/

They are professional and experienced business persons and have good response.
    Avinash Gupta

I need it in first week of oct but due to commonwealth games going to LRM would be tiring so i'm planning in the 3rd week of oct.I'll think of it but thanks maybe by that time some prices come down.

http://www.simplelabs.co.in/drupal/p...s/products-dev

I love there boards but now most of them are out of stock.Maybe they are back in stock by that time.

@avinash: tell me more about the pricing and availability.I read in some older posts that Atmega 8L are coming out.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Senior Member T-1000

@akshay66

My advice "forget Atmel"

I was die hard fan of Atmel but have no choice now.

Mostly I am working with Microchip PIC devices Now. Especially the 16 and 32 bits are very powerful and low cost. You can get a real USB 2.0 (12 Mbps) enabled chip for as low as Rs 140
    Avinash Gupta

Senior Member T-1000

Also you can get a 16bit chip (without USB 2.0) for the approx price of ATmega32.

The 16bit PICs have very nice peripherals and crunch numbers 16 bits at a time (2x faster than same speed 8 bit CPU)
    Avinash Gupta

Blog Entries

I can open shop any day ( have the h/w and stuff lying ) but the thing is the margins are not worth the time.

Say i sell a Riduino at Rs 500 , so thats like Rs 200 profit . For a decent profit i need to sell atleast sell 25 a day, every day of the month , which is around 750 a month ... there is no such market right now in India ( i did statistical analysis of my shop for a few days ). Also the logistics involved is quite time consuming to get something like this going. So simply said running a online shop requires dedicated workforce but even in that case the margins are not what i would be expect for the effort put in.

You can make money in educational robotics by fooling people by conducting workshops, but its a very lame thing to do and not really robotics. Or you can sell full kits/boards which have much better margins. Say like robotkits does selling kits at 200- 300 % margins.

So these days ive moved back to things i do best , Custom solutions for industry. Professionals pay professionally .

As for the roboshop, ull see it in some time as a offshoot but run by one of my employees.

Also my idea was to bring costs down by introducing competition , which lately i have already seen. So in some ways my objective is already achieved to some extent.
    Vikas Patial

Thanks for the advice but i'll go with atmel until the end of the year because i have alot of boards and circuits and projects pending and based upon them.If no good news comes from atmel side then i'll propable change to PIC or 'maybe' Philips LPC series.............I'll think over it if any news comes then inform all of us.
    Redefine it your way!!!!