Thread: Good Wireless module for Consumer level sensor network

Blog Entries

Default Good Wireless module for Consumer level sensor network

Im planning to work on some Home automation project whose nodes need a wireless network to interact with each other.

I have gone through a lot of Wireless modules and have finally narrowed it down to this one , if any of you have better recommendation do tell me.

Microchip MRF24J40MA

Good support from uC , Supports Security ( AES 128 ) which is very important. MAC support with CSMA , Decently priced at USD 10 ( So about Rs 600 in India ) .

I did go through cheaper modules like RFM12b, CC2500, and Nordic Chips. But they lacked important features ...
    Vikas Patial

hi vikas, i am interested in the particular rf module as well. I have a student email id which will provide a 25% discount. If you are interested i would like to purchase 2 such rf modules.we could split the shipping and duty charges. Let me kno if you it is possible for you

Senior Member Cyborg

@MRF24J40MA whats the range aka power/dBm. I have a impression since they are not having amp at frontend will be having limited range ya but offcourse its upto your requirments.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Blog Entries

400 ft ( 120 m) acc to datasheet , im looking for 20 - 30 m max range so it should be sufficient.

@shibit - why not , we can buy them together ... i need to order a few things more also . Are there any limits to your student id.
    Vikas Patial

I have a straight 25% discount, since i possess a university email id . What else you looking for ?

Blog Entries

By the coming week i should have my list ready, will get in touch.
    Vikas Patial

I will give you access to the account. just found out, that the 25% discount is on development tools and not the rf modules. I had never tried buying modules before. If you have a development tool in your list, you get that discount

Try and read this months issue of EFY.It has and article of home automation with zigbee.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

i have tried quite a few of the CC2xxx series, and find them good for short distance communication, especially with the Low error rate, and data transmission loss..
    most of them are Zigbee Compliant, and provide good results if ur looking for a n/w of about 20 to 50 devices ...

Test Case 1: Wireless Metering using Zigbee (frequency switch upon RF interference on a particular channel). Node to Multi-node commn )
    Test Case 2: Remote Monitoring of lab parameters

apart from TI's CC2xxx series, i also found the Digi MaxStream modules Series 2 (XBee) very reliable over short - medium range.

have been doing testing for the past 2 months & have found excellent results with CC2500 & MaxStream Series 2 (XBee)
    The only consideration here on will be the price.. CC2500 are cheap whereas the XBee modules are rather expensive, even at bulk rates.

Hope that helps.

Rohan Soni
    (Robosoft Systems)

Senior Member Cyborg

Well if reliability and long distance (1 km as per datasheet line of sight) communication is expected then you can go for below combination

http://aplusindia.net/aplusindiauser...0-TR&cat_id=52
    With
    http://www.sunrom.com/rf-transreceiv...7913fb2b09f920

I have practically tested it and it works in first attempt