Thread: Competitions - why restricted to students only ?

Blog Entries

Default Competitions - why restricted to students only ?

I often see robot competitions by colleges and sometimes organizations like DRDO,Tata etc ...

Then i wonder wouldn't open to all competitions increase competitiveness ? and the standard of these competitions ? Im still shocked to see ( 2 DC motors + wheel + dpdt ) being termed as a robot ...

Then i think maybe the students would not stand a chance, neither experience nor the cash .... so best to keep professionals out.

what do you guys think ?
    Vikas Patial

Hi Vikas,
    do u really think the professionals would be any better in India? Very few like U and me will turn up and make something.

Count me in Its been long time since i got into a competition.

The problem is most of us don't focus more (when compared to college) in hobbies like robotics... it takes time, effort and jobs take most of them

Blog Entries

We dont want everyone coming , there are people ... For ex we do have RC groups ( a lot of people building actually Quadcopters there ) .

I think it will actually raise the stake , going to these competitions you might actually start seeing robot unlike right now .
    Vikas Patial

Hi Vikas,
    Why have competitions? There are so many competitions in life that there are no fun activities! It better to have workshop and fun activity. With competition every one is eyeing the prize only, there is less of sharing ideas and a cloud of secracy guarding ideas, rather there should be something that benifits all.

Asimov

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

There has not been any competitions at least in India, and that is the only reason why other hobbyists dont come in. Student hobbyists grow because they have a ground to grow. Once out of college, people who have the drive, do something, others, dont.

I dont believe professionals dont have 'time'. It is just that they do not use the time for stuff like these. And Vikas said, I dont think we need too many people.

I have been to many competitions outside India, and most of them were open to all. There we had students competing with 60 year old guys. Adding one 'Open' event at technical fests are more than enough.

To be frank, I dont think there are many people who actually go beyond the typical robotic designs, even after college. No blame games, but how often do you see good Indian robot in youtube?

I met some students at NIT this month. I was surprised to know even they do robotics workshop!! They hype has gone up too much that every one is a robotics expert these days. Robots has been reduced to line followers and obstacle avoiders.

We need quality Open events to raise the bar.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Senior Member Cyborg

They can have open rock contest but not a single robotics contest open for all. Then what to say. Do you think even opening for All, there will be decent turnout with actual robotics? Janta even come to these events for fun (not technical fun).
    Only option I see is to start a periodical meetups and then grow into competitions. Relying on any institution for this purpose will not do. These meetup can even be virtual just like group chatting at predefined date time.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.