View Poll Results: Can an ameteur really build a cheap UAV in India

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • yup

7 46.67%
  • ya...butt i'll need a big team

4 26.67%
  • Ya ...but you need a gazillion dollars!

3 20.00%
  • i've got better things to do!

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UAV Building Discussion

Senior Member Cyborg

Default UAV Building Discussion

Hello Robonauts

I bet many of you would someday love to build a UAV, but obviously it takes a lot of skill & finances to build one...

I put up this thread if we could discuss what would a UAV take to build...what all components its controls should be built around, discussions on aerodynamics, communications, helicopter type or airplane type, electric or engine powered, propulsion, weight problems , body design & other design considerations.

As far a i'm considered i'm completely clueless on this one....we can have a very good discussion on this & hopefully this could become a very good resource.

To start up, I think making a Helicopter type design would be easier & less risky to fly. Making propeller & rudder control will probably be the biggest problems to solve...considering most of us live in India!

Please put in your dream UAV design ideas or anything else related on this thread

Vidur

Blog Entries

Default well

Well its one of mr dreams too . Here is what i think is feasable on a shoe string budget ( abt 30 k ) ..

A Plane based UAV i think will be much easier ... cause the flight dynamics is much easier . A helicopter is not that easy to manover ( Try to play around with a toy RC Helicopter and ull understand ) . ( 200 $ + for a decent plane ) . Ill prefer engine powered ... batteries dont last long for achiveing decent flight times .

Communication ... This will depend on the range and and amount of data u want sent back . For me i think a survelence type vehicle with GPS as tracking system and small cheap cam as the survelence cam should do the job ( 80 $ : GPS , 50 $ camera ) making it autonomus yet usable . Can use a cheap FM type of transmitter for sending back very basic data ( 20 $ + ) .

Weight problem ... damn havnt built one so cant say . Anyhow goin for IC based engine will save dead battery weight and u can power the uC and other things using light lithium batteries .

Body and design considerations : Hmm ill be better of buyin a RC plane and modding it cause i dont know shit abt flight dynamics .

BTW : Check bazee for cheap RC planes ( start arnd Rs 1500 ) ... but they are too small for anything similar .

Hmm still to build one but so little time and not a small weekend project .

Anyhow check this one http://www.hobbytron.com/Dragan-Fly-4-deal.html
    saw it on discovery and looked damn cool .

Senior Member Cyborg

Dont you think fuel cells would give an advantage over both engines & batteries?

I think a fuel cell would cost less than a engine!

In the radio, ordinary modules cant be used, the system may experience doppler shift & some amount of auto-carrier signal control may be required

As far a flight dynamics are concerned

3 controls

flaps/ailerons--makes the plane plane tilt left or right
    stablizers---pitch control i.e up or down
    Rudders--direction control- for moving left or right

This is probably where chopppers can do with 2 simple to implement controls........or for starters we can use multiple motors for direction control as submersibles do

say...one main rotor for lift
    two small auxiliary motors for directional thrust....

But i aint got a clue how to get the blades fabricated

Vidur

What system could I use for measuring pitch and roll. I was thinking of a box filled with water or any other material and dynamic pressure sensors placed at each end to measure the pressure change and tell me the incline. Or would gyroscopes be better and smaller?

For communications, could one use a cellphone type system? Using a cellphone radio, card and a home programmed chip instead of a digital to analog converter? Or would the chip be impossibly difficult to program?

Senior Member Cyborg

You'll add up instability if you use a box of water....

too much slosh & the UAV spins out of control...

Gyros are a good option...but it may not be the best...lemme pnder on

this one

Vidur

Hi,
    For communications, could one use a cellphone type system?
    Yes, for communication between UAV and computer we can use cell phone, for example reliance which offer i high speed internet on cell phone.
    For measuring pitch and roll you have number of options.
    u can use on chip gyroscope from Ananog devices or
    kMZ51/KMZ52 magnetic sensor IC, from philips, placed in some configuration (3 kMZ51 chips mutually perpendicular to each other will give variation along x,y and z axis.
    I don't know if accelerometers can also be used for this purpose.

subot_robot

Senior Member Cyborg

I dont think we can use accelerometers...coz they cant tell an upside down vehicle from an upright one.

I guess we've got gyros as the best option so far...i havent used any till now....has anybody have any experience with them

one gyro = 3 magnetic sensors....so gyros win! :-)

or you can prove me rong!

Senior Member Cyborg

Vikas

I saw the dragon flyer...but looking at it..i cant see how it achieves directional control....i.e we can see it can move up or down...but what about fwd, back left or right?

The helicopter rotors dont seem to have any pivots....atleast i cant make out any from the picture..

only one thing is odd....3 blades are colored red........one is yellow

any guesses why?

vidur

Blog Entries

Default hmm

Water based ... nice one What if my water evaporates ??? Jokin Anyway itll be hell of a unstable .

Gyro based solution is wat is required . Fuel cells ??? They are too damn heavy for the power they provide . Reliance based communication .... Too damn heavy and expensive e ( Ull end up spending most of ur money on reliace bills ) ... There are GSM cellular modules availible which do this in a better way like the GM862 series ( http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=75 ) . For the dragon flyer it works like a normal helicopter see it flight control details http://www.hobbytron.net/media/draganflyer3back.pdf . Check out videos at http://www.rctoys.com/videos.php .

Hmm this makes me think ... i should have one but at a price tag of 1 Grad USD its too damn expensive ... maybe build my own 8) .

Default Re: hmm

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    Water based ... nice one What if my water evaporates ??? Jokin Anyway itll be hell of a unstable .
    I didn't mean a huge box of water. Anyway it doesn't have to be water. If we take 1 g of any material and place it on 2 mm-square piece of material, which is placed on a piezoelectric sensor, the pressure difference for 1 degree change in incline comes out to be 0.0381 Pa.
    Is a piezo sensor sensitive enough to register such a small change?

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    Reliance based communication .... Too damn heavy and expensive e ( Ull end up spending most of ur money on reliace bills Smile ) ...
    I don't think so. What you need is a cellphone radio, cash/sim card and a microprocessor which you have to program. Batteries are already available onboard. It can't be that heavy.

As for expensive, with a bsnl mobile, incoming calls don't cost and you have ability for good long distance communication.