Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARM9 Starting out - BlueBoard vs HawkBoard vs BeagleBoard

Blog Entries

Default ARM9 Starting out - BlueBoard vs HawkBoard vs BeagleBoard

I work on ARM's daily so here is some advice for someone looking to start playing on the ARM9 platform.

BlueBoard by ngxtechnologies though being cheapest has the least pheriperal connectors it can be simply be termed as a Core Board ... Its a brand new entry and not much to work with it out there. Not really recommended as of the current date. ( Rs 2800 )

Hawk Board - It is a solution by an indian company which is half the price of its original inspiration the Beagleboard. Its a good board ... but not much supported or projects using it. ( Rs 5000 )

BeagleBoard - Love it , U will not go wrong with it. If you can buy it get it.Huge community support with everything open source. Its powerful and well priced ... look no further. ( RS 9000 )

To tell u the truth its best you avoid Indian boards ( i hate to say this but its true ) , as most of these companies have no concept of community or collaboration and do not release any schematics or layouts for you to hack/modify the circuit. And when working on things like Embedded Linux and Such board with no commercial support it helps if the board has a huge community backing.

I think because Indians dont collaborate the Indian versions of these board will never be that big .

Just my two cents ...
    Last edited by vikas; 03-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

Well I just brought hawkboard this week, i am still figuring out what i can do with its capability other than just watching tux on the screen. Well build quality seems to be very good for indian standards, i believe they are doing fabrication some where outside india. It is loaded with ton of interfaces we just have to exploit them. Ya there is very minimum community support but that’s what thrilling.

BeagleBoard @ 9k ? i doubt if you are talking about IDA , i would recommend to avoid IDA as i found them incompetent , other distributor like crane is selling @13k.

so hawkboard @ 6k (buying directly from innovate solution) seems worth giving a try.
    Last edited by shashak; 03-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Blog Entries

Ya there is very minimum community support but that’s what thrilling.
    Somehow i think opposite , Working on timelines i do not have the to waste time doing exploring and writing libraries from scratch. I did consider HawkBoard , but like you said there is not much support other than buying it. Even a decent Wiki on how to go about things is missing.

I had decent exp with IDA , dont know what went wrong ur side .

BTW ill be buying my third beagle board this week , Im loving it. Things move fast with Beagle , its like arduino for people on Arm9 ... everything is already there ... just connect the dots to get things done.
    Vikas Patial

HI all.
    Its rightly said by vikas indian are poor at community activity. I this this is probably the reason why RI also has limited success despite the fact that its over 4-5yrs old..

'Indians Are Privately Smart and Publicly Dumb'

remembered a book about this topic read the below extract if u have time!!!!

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/i...articleid=4222
    Last edited by vikas; 03-16-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Its all about competition.If someone knows extra in his class he wouldn't tell other because he thinks that the other child will impress their teacher.When you share knowledge you get knowledge.

@Asimov: Wonder full book.I'm looking forward to read it.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Hi akshay,
    probably I would have said the same if I were in school... Few marks here and there don't really make a diffrence in school, its not a competetive exam you are giving, But I have worked for over three yrs and have seen projects fail in real life for the short sighted ness people have , imagine if vikas and rao have done something like this !! that means today there would have been no RI!!!!

Vikas thanks for editing the post and putting the url!!!!

Asimov
    Last edited by asimov_18; 03-17-2010 at 12:10 AM.

I know these marks won't make a difference it was just an example about the typical tendency.I know projects fail in real life i believe more than 70 percent of my projects failed cause they didn't work as i imagined before making them but all i got is experience & practical knowledge.This is experience only allows me to answer queries in the forum & i love to do it.Obviously,If Vikas & Rao hadn't done this then i don't know what would have happened.Its not just telling but i have also learn t a lot from the forum.
    Redefine it your way!!!!

BLueboard-lpc214x was the first board from NGX. We have shipped board to more then 25 countries across the world.We do have community for our boards http://code.google.com/p/blueboard-lpc214x/ provides the comprehensive code for the lpc2148 board. For technical discussion we have http://groups.google.com/group/blueboard-lpc214x. all the details of the board including schematics and code is available on the google project page,irrespective of you purchase the board or not. I am still not sure what else is to be shared and what else community support is required.
    Yes for Blueboard-AT91rm9200 details have not yet given out, That is because the work is still in progress. Even this arm9 board will have the community support.
    it is has serial,ethernet, usb(usb storage/usb wireless/bluetooth can be plugeddin),SD/MMC support. I think for any body to try hands on linux that should be sufficent.
    I hope i have addressed your concerns.

Blog Entries

@vinay.hpatil - Your BlueBoards are great ,but the problem lies somewhere else ... not with your support or your board.

I do like your boards and pricing .... Maybe will talk about some project in private.
    Last edited by vikas; 03-17-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Vikas Patial

At NGX we always did our best to make embedded boards more affordable and more accessible in India. And this how we believe we can build an ecosystem.we do believe in sharing knowledge. And Blueboard-at91rm9200 is target for amateurs who want to start linux, by not spending too much. Yes for advance users this might be the second best, for them we plan to release a compressive board(again at a affordable price).

We are committed promote embedded education in India.Every month 1st weekend,we conduct free workshop on blueboards(not limited to our costumers). Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.