Thread: Laser for Acrylic cutting?

Default Laser for Acrylic cutting?

Hi, I am not sure if this is the place to post this.

Could someone suggest a cheap laser for acrylic sheet cutting? the sheets are maximum of 5 mm thick.

I am planning to get one of those cheap lasers from ebay and modify them for higher output power? Has anyone over here done this before? what are the results like?

Thanks.

Such high power laser wont be available on ebayindia!!! and one can't use small semiconductor lasers for this they will burn up in microseconds!!!!!

Asimov

Well I have seen modified ebay.com lasers pop balloons and light match sticks (they wont need much power i guess)...
    If this laser is more focused and moved real slow over the acrylic sheet, will it be able to cut the sheet?

Senior Member T-1000

If you need to cut acrylic using lasers, instead of DIY, contact one of those memento/shield fabricators... There are shops all over the place these days who cut fancy name plates and appreciatory trophies that you see at doctors, sales people having met targets and those sort of places. I haven't seen the innards of these fabricator shops... the owners wouldn't let me, but I think, they do not even use lasers, just a light-duty CNC milling machine. However, they'll cut the shapes that you want out of acrylic. Most places also have a good stock of acrylic sheets in different thickness so that should also not be a problem. I think they'll take CorelDraw files for the design.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by anilmaddala View Post
    Well I have seen modified ebay.com lasers pop balloons and light match sticks (they wont need much power i guess)...
    If this laser is more focused and moved real slow over the acrylic sheet, will it be able to cut the sheet?
    I guess they could... but the first step is for you to mod your cell phone to cook food (since your cell phone and microwave ovens both use microwaves). So I guess if that is doable then cheapo laser pointers could be mod'ed to cut 5mm acrylic.

:-)
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

@ Mohit... Good one..

Better contact the fabricators and get it done for cheap. Thanks