Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: design for racing robot

Junior Member Newbie

Default design for racing robot

i preparing for a robo race competition.
    can any one suggest me a good design for racing robot.
    what type of motors should i use & what type of wheels should i attatch.

Problem Statement- Design a remote controlled electric motor based machine that can cross over an artificial path crossing through some hurdles, obstacleslz .

Machine specification-
    The machine should be fit in a 40cmx40cmx30cm (LengthxWidthxHight) size of dimension box.
    No limitation of weight.
    The machine should use 12 volt dc power supply (From battery or Transformer).
    The machine can be wired or wireless remote operated.
    Readymade base of machine would not be allowed (Readymade wheels, motor, battery, RF Remote, switch, wires can be used).
    Power supply of 220v ac. will be provided.

Arena specifications-
    Arena would be complete circuit path of 70meter length.
    The minimum and maximum width of path would be 1.5 meter & .5 meter respectably.
    Arena would be a barricaded path in open ground.
    There would be marbles, grass and mud in alternative places of arena.
    There would be some incline slant and depth in arena.

Rules-
    The machine should cover complete path of the arena, no shortcut and reverse turn will be allowed.
    The machine should start to run from start point of arena and it will start to move in clock wise of arena.
    The machine should not damage the arena else team will be disqualified.
    Machine should not leave the path in its time lap else team will be disqualified.
    The machine can transform to its size only at arena. But cannot divide in parts.

Judging criteria-
    Wireless machine will get extra 20 points in advanced.
    The machine having self made wireless system on bread board or PCB will get 20 more points extra.
    The machine best in design and concept will get 10 point extra.
    The machine should start to move with 300 second in reverse counting and complete the whole path in minimum time; remaining seconds would be its score.
    E.g. If a machine is wireless controlled and wireless system is design on breadboard and it complete the path in 60 second then its total sore would be 20+20+240=300
    Last edited by nilandri; 12-31-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: the data provided in the previous post was not sufficient

Blog Entries

Please post competition link , as some details are missing.

Size specifications , are ICE allowed , allowed components ? etc etc

Easiest will be to get a Big RC car and take it apart and attach components to a wooden plank .
    Vikas Patial

Junior Member Newbie

thank u vikas i have updated my post......

Blog Entries

And ur budget ?
    Vikas Patial

Since the competition rules do not allow you to use ready made chassis, using a RC car is ruled out.

Just build your own base with a differential steering, it is the simplest steering mechanism you can build and control.

I would suggest you make it wired, in which case you can take the batteries off the machine and drastically reduce its weight and increase its speed and your control over it while navigating.

Do not use a transformer, most transformers, unless rated for high currents, will not be able to provide the required current for your electric motor based machine. Use a battery pack for better performance.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

Blog Entries

If you wish to Win -

Build using Brushless DC motors , Skid steer is the way to go. High energy to weight ratio batteries , Good ESC's , High quality RC control system, some 1/10 or 1/8 scale off road tires.And yes Carbon fibre Body with appropriate suspension .

Since its a narrow track at some places you can put in distance sensors , and achieve higher speeds by offering driver assistance with automatic obstacle avoidance.

The setup might cost about 20k + .

@prateek

I would suggest you make it wired
    Its a 70 m arena , with barricades ... Other than wire getting stuck everywhere, using wires limits car speed to your walking speed.
    Dont mind but i find Wired robots LAME and should be disqualified instantly.
    Vikas Patial

Sorry, I overlooked the arena size - 70m is huge. Wired won't work out for 70m, that too with barricades and obstacles. Sorry.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

Where is the competition being held??? I would also like to participate/visit .
    Redefine it your way!!!!

Junior Member Newbie

my buget is Rs.3000

Blog Entries

Then best bet is to reassemble a RC truck ...
    Vikas Patial