Thread: Dev boards

Junior Member User

Lightbulb Dev boards

sir,
    i have some questions which i wud like
    2 be clarified:
    1)sir,im a first yr student who has studied c in 11th and 12th class..now coming to electronics
    i know only basics..so shud one start with 8051 Family or AVR family?
    2)which is easier to program?(considering the online tutorials it seems that 8051 is)
    3)what`s the ideal way for a beginner to start so that he can handle the hobby more productively?
    4)Shud one try Arduino or Avr?
    plz suggest the best uC for line follower citing the above questions..and also suggest the dev board..?
    i have made the mech bot and hav won the prize of most innovative design..i know soldering and other stuff like working with diodes,voltage regulators,capacitors etc.
    plz do suggest me some good shops in delhi where i can buy stuff..
    also give an overall review of the online shops and the best among them..

Blog Entries

1. Both are good , AVR is what ill recommend for starters due to a lot of free code. 8051 is recommend in production systems as it gives nice price performance. ( to me all are same and good in one thing or the other )
    2. 89v52rd2 ( 8051 ) , just requires a serial port ... couldnt get easier, Arduino is the same too , AVR /PIC require simple ISP's
    3. Do a project dont just learn and forget
    4. Arduino is Avr with a framework ... u will use avr if you go with arduino

U dont need a uC for line following

Would love to see your bot .. share some pics

Buy online , higher quality and with basic support , look at Probots , they are pretty cheap or nex robotics or nsk electronics.

Give me your dream project idea and then ill tell you how to get there ... Ull love to work on something that you love.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by irobocop View Post
    sir,
    i have some questions which i wud like
    2 be clarified:
    1)sir,im a first yr student who has studied c in 11th and 12th class..now coming to electronics
    i know only basics..so shud one start with 8051 Family or AVR family?
    2)which is easier to program?(considering the online tutorials it seems that 8051 is)
    3)what`s the ideal way for a beginner to start so that he can handle the hobby more productively?
    4)Shud one try Arduino or Avr?
    plz suggest the best uC for line follower citing the above questions..and also suggest the dev board..?
    i have made the mech bot and hav won the prize of most innovative design..i know soldering and other stuff like working with diodes,voltage regulators,capacitors etc.
    plz do suggest me some good shops in delhi where i can buy stuff..
    also give an overall review of the online shops and the best among them..
    For AVR Development Board & Programmer visit

http://elecrom.wordpress.com/products/

Junior Member User

@vikas sir..
    thanks a ton for ur elaborated response.. glad that some one heard..
    but still i wud like to ask that for a beginner which is easier to learn (AVR(RISC) OR 8051(CISC))..
    By easier i mean we are able to learn more and in a productive way and programming a bit easier.. i have skimmed thru Mazidi and mazidi for 8051 and avr-an introductory course..(john morton)..and felt that in avr there is a lot of initialisation stuff( everything has to be initialised like interrupts,timers,etc) and its not that in 8051..
    Plz guide me..im in a bit of fix..
    also suggest any shops in delhi..
    and i saw a website-www.extremeelectronics.co.in they also have a dev board 4 8051 and its priced at 999.oo and the programmer usb is free.

Blog Entries

Then what you need is a Arduino ,You will do a LOT more in a short time with it than plain old 8051 or AVR.
    Vikas Patial

Junior Member User

@vikas sir thanks a ton for ur advice wil now get started with arduino..and also 8051( 4 a college project)..
    plz plz suggest me the most affordable,complete and best :
    1)8051 DEV BOard
    2)Arduino Clone
    also suggest me any shops in delhi( lajpatrai...???.)
    or even online but wil prefer local shops

Check the Wiki section for details of shops in Delhi.

For 8051 Development Boards visit - http://probots.co.in/index.php?main_...ex&cPath=61_62

I would suggest you get a P89V51RD2 microcontroller. It can be programmed through the serial port of your PC without the need for any hardware programmer.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

Blog Entries

P89V51RD2is highly recommened but if you want adc too look into 89s8252 later on.
    Vikas Patial

Junior Member User

thank u vikas sir and prateekh sir...
    bought the atmega8l dev board from onlinetps.com and programmed the delay program(..HelloWorld!!) that worked..
    thank u guys for guiding me towards my dream...
    as it says:
    "The first stone is difficult to overcome whatever the journey might be.."
    may god bless u ...