Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digging Mechanism

Default Digging Mechanism

Can anyone suggest some kind of a digging mechanism which will be fast and efficient for digging sands? accuracy is not a concern.....but the mechanism should be easy 2 fabricate and efficient

Blog Entries

Give more specs (depth , hardness , why dig,payload ) or point to competition link if its for a competition.
    Vikas Patial

well its for kshitij 2011 ............Pirate Bay........nd d depth is about 7 cm........nd its about pickin up a wooden coil after digging through the sand.............

Blog Entries

link ?
    Always post link when asking for help about such competitions ...
    Vikas Patial

http://www.robotix.in/events/pirate_bay ......... sorry for the inconvinience

Blog Entries

Something like this or similar mechanism would easily crack this competition -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDHgERW5xk

Only modification would be to make the digger not flat but at an incline pointing towards the ground. and drill pebble sized holes ( 3cm in diameter ) in the loading tray.
    Vikas Patial

Oh okay.....any other suggestions????? i was thinking of sticking propellers in the front to skim out the sand and then use a picking mechanism to pick d coins...........

Blog Entries

Do it the way professionals do it ... its that simple . Build a loader and you can easily crack all three stages . Inead of the front bucket construct a iron mesh based one with max diagonal 3 cm of each connecting square ... it would quickly sort the material.

Dont mind but ...
    Have you ever seen any digging equipment using propellers ? i highly dought it ... and i highly dought it would work ... even roughly imaging it i can see too many problems. Do some rough trials and u will see the problems.
    Vikas Patial

Yesss.... infact i hav seen one mechanism which has a rolling drum in d front with slats which churns out the sand........i have done several trials of that with propellers ..it seems to work.....but only problem being that i cannot control d sand throw......... besides can u suggest any picking mechanism for lifting the coin?????

Do the way vikas has suggested. It is highly reliable,you might have done various trials but anything can happen what if the sand in the arena is not similar and your propeller jams.

For coins you can use electromagnets.
    Redefine it your way!!!!