Thread: From a new PIC Convert (Microchip fan)

Blog Entries

Default From a new PIC Convert (Microchip fan)

I was a so called PIC hater, always recommended AVR till about 2 yrs back. But after the AVR shortage it made me realize how great PIC actually is.

Some things i learn over last 1 - 1 1/2 yrs that made me dump AVR for professional development -

1. Im lazy , PIC actually provides superb set of libraries which take care of 80% of code mostly wether writing USB Gadgets or interfacing TFT's. Free libraries with professional supported code.
    2. Availability - Microchip direct rules , any odd IC you want they send over no MoQ or anything. Nothing like that offered by any other vendor. Try ordering a non standard IC from Atmel or ST ull understand.
    3. Variety - They almost offer full spectrum of chips from controllers,chargers , drivers,converters ... so a system can be based on all PIC components.
    3. Forum - Great forum with many knowledgeable people.

Though the IDE is not that great , but its still better than most ive used in past. Though i would not recommend Singe vendor dependence ... but PIC has been around and has a good track record.

Just for ex -
    yest i was looking to interface pic32 to a USB printer for some Client. The first query i find PIC24 USB host Code for interfacing and printing to a printer ... What more can i ask .. made my day .
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

And thats exactly what i have been telling people, and exactly what people refuse to believe.

They have a HUGE resource of App notes. The C compilers are great, and they give one of them for free at Masters Conference, and a lot of tools at a very subsidized rate.

For now, I guess Microchip is ruling the general 8 bit - 16 bit Microcontroller Market.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

) i have always used pic micro, because i found pic 16f84a before than 8051 in the 8th standard and i have never looked back

Junior Member User

Default Nicely said...

@vikas - they are the best for hobbyist solutions... but i dont think many professionals here like them. i have almost always seen people working with Motorola, infenion or renesas micros ....

@Shobit - good one...
    Last edited by medampudi; 01-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Oh, i work on Renesas MCU too.

Blog Entries

Well for a startup like mine , they help me deliver easily and faster. Easier component interoperability,availability and lots of free Code .

Big companies can get any uC's from any company but these same companies do not really entertain small startups.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by medampudi View Post
    @vikas - they are the best for hobbyist solutions... but i dont think many professionals here like them. i have almost always seen people working with Motorola, infenion or renesas micros .... .
    Oh you've got it wrong! A billion dollar company cannot ride on hobbyists' business alone. They are huge. At the same time, they have exposure to all segments of the market. This way if some part of the economy isn't doing too well, other verticals will help the company sustain. And neither do they have a customer who accounts for more than 2-3% of their business. So if the big customer tanks, it doesn't cause a huge dent in sales loss.

What's so brilliant about Microchip is their product line and support. They have so many flavours of PICs and almost all of them available through Microchipdirect. As Vikas said, you want 1 or a 1000000; they will ship it. And its painless - all duties, freight etc. paid. Works out much cheaper than any of the Indian distributors I've tried. I almost buy exclusively through them. In fact I try to source as many components as possible from them - Op Amps, Mosfet drivers, power ICs.

I've also found their staff very helpful. The forum on Microchip.com is great, PICList is superb... I could go on and on.

Long story short, PICs are universally loved.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in

Junior Member User

Agreed.. I was wrong in generalizing stuff but it was more on the front of indian manufacturers ... The place where i did my project or even the company i worked here feel that microchip components have a huge failure rate and bad design (reasons not given by me but by them when i asked why they did not use any).... but I have not seen any problems.... i have even worked on a few NASA projects that revolve around he PIC's.

Any how i think we all are Microchip evangelists so definitely agree with each and every point...

Senior Member T-1000

Quote Originally Posted by medampudi View Post
    The place where i did my project or even the company i worked here feel that microchip components have a huge failure rate and bad design (reasons not given by me but by them when i asked why they did not use any)
    Then they are designing bad. I've seen PICs survive reverse voltages, bad handling and what not... They are pretty much as rugged as any microcontroller can be without being MIL rated. Also, almost all inverters in the Indian market are PIC-based.
    --
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.BioZen.co.in