Thread: BeagleBoard production too low?

Hybrid View

Thumbs down BeagleBoard production too low?

Has anyone else noticed how BeagleBoard-xMs are always in short supply? No one seems to be having any right now, DigiKey, Watterott, Farnell, everyone seems to be out of stock!

I hate to say it, but I don't recommend anyone using the BeagleBoard-xMs as a SBC in any commercial product due to inconsistent availability.

Regards,

Debu

Blog Entries

I have stopped using beagle boards since a year now ... they are simply too hard to get . Also problems developed in 2 of my boards and simply no way to detect whats wrong. Someone once told me that its due to the usage of pop memory , most fabs done still dont do pop and then memory used by old beagle hit EOL with new one giving issues.

But i did find a cheaper and better beagleboard alternative ..

http://www.technexion.com/index.php/tao-3530

These work great, have almost same specs but are in smaller form factor,higher build quality,better documentation and best of all cheaper. And the packing they come in is amazing ( rarely expected from a Chinese company ).
    Vikas Patial

@Vikas: I needed the 1GHz variety OMAP 3730 (xM) for my custom bitbaked kernel. The TI rep hooked me up with some Variscite modules which seem compatible (at least by looking at the schematic) for just $49 each. I hope I don't have to perform too much re-engineering, apart from the different SPI port used for the SD cards in UBoot. At this point I'm just really mad that I can't get any xMs, I suppose it is kind of my fault; I should have thoroughly researched BeagleBoard.org before using them. There doesn't seem to be any system in place for accountability, no production schedule, nothing. The only reason I used it in the first place is because TI was endorsing them directly. I guess the industry is not quite ready to have a 100% community driven platform yet, it seems that some kind of sponsor backing still needs to exist to avoid this kind of problem, even for open projects.

Anyways, this should be a lesson.

Regards,

Debu

Edit: It appears I'm feeling a bit strongly about the situation. Apologies for the rant.
    Last edited by debu; 02-13-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Too much of a rant!

Blog Entries

49 USD must be the bulk pricing , Also no direct buy. But yes these modules seem nice ... i will keep them in mind. 1 Ghz @ 49 USD ... im getting ideas !!!

I also told people to look into beagle board when it was new ... now its just a mess and hard to buy. Though i did learn a OMAP in the process and working on the beagle was fun. Maybe time to move on.
    Vikas Patial