Thread: Hi Speed USB experience ...

Blog Entries

Default Hi Speed USB experience ...

Hi guys

just wanted to ask if anyone is experienced with HIGH SPEED USB design and devlopment.

I have started work with on Ex-USB FX2 from cypress , which promises High speed support ... any pointers i should be aware of ?

My device is connected to a Spartan 6 FPGA and i need high throughputs with enough IO . Any recommendations are also welcome.
    Vikas Patial

Are you using the ztex development board? If you're planning on working on designing the hardware, be careful of noise. Remember to isolate the 200MHz clock signal with 1mm clearance from the ground plane on all layers. Also, some of the early Spartan 6 silicon has a documented reset bug with the PLL4x DCM IP. You won't be disappointed with anything else.

Regards,

Debu

Blog Entries

Though i already have Ez USB board ... the ztex has both components on a single board . Yep so this is what we are planing to use.

Any recommendation for the xiling JTAG ? Me Not much of a FPGA guy ... this will be first venture.
    Vikas Patial

Nothing too fancy in the JTAG department, go for the Xilinx Platform Cable, pretty simple and straightforward USB downloading. If you use ChipScope, you can use the cable for real time debugging as well.

Regards,

Debu

Vikas,
    There is a XILINX platform cable USB I available from Digilentinc for $89 and one is on ebay at around $50. I too was thinking to buy one. However dangerous prototypes have made a bus blaster prototype, which should be able to download the bit file into your fpga.

@shobhitkukreti: The bus blaster doesn't do 30MHz JTAG, so it doesn't program the Spartan 6. It only programs most of the ARM based systems which are supported by the openOCD project.

Regards,

Debu

Blog Entries

Also i had a bad exp with open OCD recently , first i bought the wrong type ... did not check voltage levels and the second i bought could not access Nand. When doing commerical devlopment it felt like sometime u need to buy commercial JTAG's. Mainly for a custom ARM 9 board.

Also Open OCD support is all here and there, and with companies like micron which do not give Nand datasheets without asking questions out of box support is not possible. Anyhow 2 Open OCD JTAGs collecting dust with me ... maybe some time in future i might get to use them.
    Vikas Patial